Old 19-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Noitartst

Default A Hyperbaric Greenhouse

Hello. I am trying to construct a hyperbaric greenhouse with twice
normal air pressure. Please inform me if you have any ideas of where I
should look for info on such an unusual greenhouse to say the least.

I want to know the materials needed, and how much they cost, for one.
I wish that someone here could please push me in a useful direction.
Thank you.
Old 19-04-2003, 10:44 PM
david

I am trying to construct a hyperbaric greenhouse with twice
normal air pressure

Why?

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 20-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Marley1372

I am trying to construct a hyperbaric greenhouse with twice
normal air pressure

Why?

because his gardener is Michael Jackson???

Toad
Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Dwight Sipler

Noitartst wrote:

Hello. I am trying to construct a hyperbaric greenhouse with twice
normal air pressure. Please inform me if you have any ideas of where I
should look for info on such an unusual greenhouse to say the least.

I want to know the materials needed, and how much they cost, for one.
I wish that someone here could please push me in a useful direction.
Thank you.

Not being an engineer, I don't know what materials are needed and how
much they cost, but I have a gut feeling that it will be *VERY*
expensive. Since normal air pressure is about 15psi, the extra pressure
on the greenhouse will be over a ton per square foot. That means that
the frame will have to be very heavy and it is unlikely that normal
greenhouse coverings will stand the strain.

The greenhouse will have to be air conditioned. Normally, ventilation
would provide this function, but to keep the pressure up, this option is
not available.

Safety issues: what happens if a panel fails? Where does the shrapnel
go?

Whatever are you growing that is worth such an effort???

Old 29-06-2003, 12:56 AM
bberry

because his gardener is Michael Jackson???

Toad

Beat me to the punch!
Old 29-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Marley1372

because his gardener is Michael Jackson???

Toad

Beat me to the punch!

That thread must have been from like 3 months ago? do you post by snail mail?
hehe

Toad
Old 30-06-2003, 02:20 AM
bberry

That thread must have been from like 3 months ago? do you post by snail mail?
hehe

Toad

No have just gotten into gardening recently!

Old 27-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Sipler View Post
Noitartst wrote:

[...]

Sorry to reply so very late but I just signed up because someone I know has built a 12 foot high geodesic hyperbaric greenhouse with a wooden-slat frame held together by industrial ties covered with some kind of transparent material. He is presently growing plants in there with ordinary air at 2.5 atm (1.5 atm above ambient) and claims they are growing faster in there (he intends to increase pressure to 5 atm).

I am frankly quite skeptical about the long-range outcome and wonder too about safety concerns since this contraption is inside a public building (potential for injury to occasional passersby if it blows apart). This person expects this to be a method to remove CO2 from the atmosphere (combat global warming) - a claim of which I am also highly skeptical. I also wonder how these plants fare with the Oxygen partial pressure raised along with the CO2 partial pressure - might long-term O2 toxicity not factor in also?

[IMG] code is On

Effect of hyperbaric pressure on plants??? Marko Kostic Plant Biology 0 20-12-2008 08:56 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM