Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 AM
seeking

Default tulips question

i didn't have time to plant all my tulip bulbs in the fall.
i looked at them and they are sprouting in the bag.
do i have no choice but to discard them?
could i put them in the ground now let's say and have them be ok for
next year. i live in Maryland. thanks.
c.
Old 20-04-2003, 01:20 AM
paghat

In article , seeking
wrote:

i didn't have time to plant all my tulip bulbs in the fall.
i looked at them and they are sprouting in the bag.
do i have no choice but to discard them?
could i put them in the ground now let's say and have them be ok for
next year. i live in Maryland. thanks.
c.

If you'd at least potted them by winter, they could be put into flower
beds now very safely. I'd go ahead & give it a try, & plant them now, &
hope they at least produce enough leaf to photosynthesize & strengthen the
bulb for NEXT spring's appearance. If they're darwin hybrids they should
recover; if they're triumphs or most other big hybrids they probably won't
ever be as strong as they might've been if planted last autumn. If they're
lady-tulips (T. clusiana) they might not bloom next year but in a couple
years they'll be fine & will spread.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"