Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garlic question

2+ months ago I harvested my Garlic crop. Planting some lettuce today I dug
up some garlic bulbs I had missed. Several of them have sprouts 1-2 inchs
long.

Questions.
Am I able to use these the bulbs for planting in June (winter) or should I
instead dry and eat them now?

If usable for replanting in June, what is the best way to store them?

Thanks.
Rob

Old 07-04-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 23:48:20 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

2+ months ago I harvested my Garlic crop. Planting some lettuce today I dug
up some garlic bulbs I had missed. Several of them have sprouts 1-2 inchs
long.

Questions.
Am I able to use these the bulbs for planting in June (winter) or should I
instead dry and eat them now?

If usable for replanting in June, what is the best way to store them?

Thanks.
Rob

I just leave them in the ground if they didn't "bulb" yet. I had the
same thing happen and they are coming up now. I'll let them grow till
they brown out and harvest them then. Here in TX this means harvest
in July or August.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

2+ months ago I harvested my Garlic crop. Planting some lettuce today
I dug up some garlic bulbs I had missed. Several of them have sprouts
1-2 inchs long.

Questions.
Am I able to use these the bulbs for planting in June (winter) or
should I instead dry and eat them now?

If usable for replanting in June, what is the best way to store them?

Thanks.
Rob

I just leave them in the ground if they didn't "bulb" yet. I had the
same thing happen and they are coming up now. I'll let them grow till
they brown out and harvest them then. Here in TX this means harvest
in July or August.

hijacking the thread a little bit

Has anyone had any luck with the garlic you plant now for harvest this
year? I NEVER get my stuff together enough to plant in the fall. I was
thinking of trying the spring stuff. I was wondering if it was worth a
30 mile trip to the nursery to get some. Any opinions?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

I raise elephant garlic. I harvest it in July, cure it for 10 to 15 days,
store it in a cool place (not the fridge), and then replant in early
September. That way it has time to form into cloves by the next June or
July.

I haven't had much experience with regular garlic. You might get away with
planting it now, but I doubt it.

George, I agree that you should replant your bulbs and leave them till
summer.

Dwayne

Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day rob,

you don't say where you are?

but if you are in the southern hemisphere about now is when to plant,
and yes i sould divide and replant those corms.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 08-04-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:42:08 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

I just leave them in the ground if they didn't "bulb" yet. I had the
same thing happen and they are coming up now. I'll let them grow till
they brown out and harvest them then. Here in TX this means harvest
in July or August.

hijacking the thread a little bit

Has anyone had any luck with the garlic you plant now for harvest this
year? I NEVER get my stuff together enough to plant in the fall. I was
thinking of trying the spring stuff. I was wondering if it was worth a
30 mile trip to the nursery to get some. Any opinions?

I've gotten cloves to form, but not bulb in one season. The garlic
you plant now can stay in the ground all summer, then fall and till
next year. The other thing I do with mine in the same season is to
use the foliage in cooking.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
2+ months ago I harvested my Garlic crop. Planting some lettuce today I

dug
up some garlic bulbs I had missed. Several of them have sprouts 1-2 inchs
long.

Correction here. Rather than bulbs I should have said cloves. The cloves are
left over from late last winters planting (they were a little late) and
summer harvesting. They were ones I missed.

Some the the cloves are sprouting new growth at the top. I am only 4-6 weeks
away from planting my new seasons crop.

I guess the plan is, someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, to store
the cloves in a dry dark place and plant out when needed.

rob

Old 08-04-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day rob,

i would still use them for the new planting season whether you leave
them in the ground or pull them and store them in the fridge until
then is your choice.

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:55:22 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

[IMG] code is On

Garlic question Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 8 23-05-2011 12:37 PM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic question Mary Fisher United Kingdom 9 28-07-2006 11:16 PM
chives/garlic question? jamie Texas 2 20-04-2004 04:07 AM