GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   my daughter's pea plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/156466-my-daughters-pea-plants.html)

BearDrummer 07-04-2007 04:29 PM

my daughter's pea plants

2 years ago, my daughter who was 6 at the time grew some oriental
peas. The pods were flat and very sweet, and the vines grew up about
20 feet. (lots of sun, lots of water, and a long growing season) I
had some seeds from them, but lost them. My daughter is not too happy
with me about this. I have looked through the local seed supply
stores, and the best I found was an Oregon sweet pea that only grows
about 2.5 feet tall. I am trying to find a taller pea plant that
produces sweet, flat pods. Any ideas where to find one?

JoeSpareBedroom 07-04-2007 05:40 PM

my daughter's pea plants

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
oups.com...
2 years ago, my daughter who was 6 at the time grew some oriental
peas. The pods were flat and very sweet, and the vines grew up about
20 feet. (lots of sun, lots of water, and a long growing season) I
had some seeds from them, but lost them. My daughter is not too happy
with me about this. I have looked through the local seed supply
stores, and the best I found was an Oregon sweet pea that only grows
about 2.5 feet tall. I am trying to find a taller pea plant that
produces sweet, flat pods. Any ideas where to find one?

I've grown this Burpee variety lots of times, always with great results:
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...+melting+sugar

The description says 4-5 feet tall, but mine grew to almost 7 feet. I grew
them against a "wall" of fence wire. I have no idea if you'll get 20'
plants, no matter what you do with them, but you *will* get a big harvest
and very tasty snow peas.

If she wants to grow something huge just for the hell of it, try some pole
beans.