Old 20-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Purchgdss

Default Core Aerating

I'm having a guy come in to do core aeration to the turf in the front so I
can
lay out compost and when I do dig it up, the clay soil will be softer to
work.
He's charging me 35 dollars! I couldn't rent a machine and do it myself for
that.

For those of us NOT so lucky to have this guy in our neighborhoods, I found a
foot core aerator I've used with much success at (believe it or not) HOME
DEPOT! Simple operation, similar to the edging tools, just step on it and it
cuts out a core about 1/2" diameter and 4" long. works WONDERS on my clay yard
as long as it's not too dry. Easy to use and easy to clean (I recommend saving
one of the metal plant stakes for cleaning out the holes when you're done.
does an awesome job).

Bonus is.... I can aerate all I want and it only cost me ~$20! It's already
paid for itself.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 21-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:38:59 GMT, animaux wrote:

I want to
get one of these.

*VBG* only 2500 steps to aerate my 500 sq ft of lawn.....

Lewis
Lawn Coring Aerator
Model: #D-6C
SKU: #595582

I have one too, but still rent to do my lawn!

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson
Old 21-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Purchgdss

What is the name or skew number on the tool? I want to
get one of these.

UPC code is.... 7 35390 92325 6 Cant remember the brand but it's black with
red foam handles.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 21-04-2003, 04:20 PM
animaux

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:53:20 -0700, Tom Jaszewski wrote:

*VBG* only 2500 steps to aerate my 500 sq ft of lawn.....

Lewis
Lawn Coring Aerator
Model: #D-6C
SKU: #595582

I have one too, but still rent to do my lawn!

Ha! Well, I suppose my 35 dollars to have the whole thing core aerated doesn't
sound so bad after all. Every spring when the grape hyacinth come up (my
husband loves those) I want to plant them into the turf. It may have a good use
to plant minor bulbs and bluebonnet seeds in the lawn. Oh how I hate lawn.

Old 22-04-2003, 04:56 AM
animaux

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:20:53 -0700, Tom Jaszewski wrote:

An 8' wide "wrap" around a small patio totaling 250 sq ft provides a
lot of cooling on the east side of the house. It extends the living
space in the heat of late spring, early summer and early fall.
Providing a healthy soil with 18-24" of organic structure means I use
25% of the water and 1/4 of the nutrients to sustain it. Grass isn't
necessarily the enemy. Poor gardening practice is more often the foe.

The front is another story, it will be an Aloe garden modeled after
the old Ethel M's Chocolates garden. 20 species of Aloe and a dozen or
so Agave will soon grace the front entry.

At this rate my battery powered lawn more will out live me!

IMNSHO

tomj

Oh but it takes so much energy to mow it, water it, feed it, aerate it! When we
first bought the house the first thing we planted were trees. There are four
old growth live oaks which are at least 30 feet tall around on all sides. In
the summer, the chinch bugs show up in dry sod.

Do you get much of a winter in Las Vegas? We really don't get much of a winter.
Maybe a month or so of really cold days or nights (30s-40s). I only needed a
small electric heater on 5 nights all winter in the greenhouse (200 sq. ft.).

I don't feel turf is the enemy, but it isn't as aesthetically appealing to me
as beds with native plants and paths. Islands in the sun. Then there's that
strip of turf in the street. Feh. That got a bunch of Guara lindheimerii and
wildflowers with cedar elms and Muhly lindheimerii. Both are native to Texas.

I do understand where you are coming from, as well, it is less appealing to me
to have turf since my husband mows and it's so hot out there in summer.

Old 30-04-2003, 05:56 PM
TOM KAN PA

I must be thinking of something else. There are circles that appear in grass
that looks like somebody took a little tiny fertilizer drop spreader and made
circles, resulting in much darker, greener grass in these rings. We have called
them Pixie Circles.

BTW, don't use those Areaters that you put on your feet like old time
rollerskates. They have spikes on the bottom. Not only do THEY NOT areate the
soil, they do the opposite, the compact it more. And if you do it enough,
you'll eventually fall and break or sprain your ankle.

[IMG] code is On

Core aeration Slarti Lawns 3 28-05-2008 03:02 PM
Vertical vs Drum Core Aeration for Lawns Alan Sung Gardening 5 04-11-2007 04:57 PM
Sickly Rose...brown core to stems...HELP!!! prologica Roses 4 25-05-2005 03:53 PM
Sickly rose...brown core to stems..HELP! prologica United Kingdom 1 13-05-2005 01:59 PM
Going hard-co digging up yard for more! JimS. Roses 0 16-01-2004 08:02 AM