Old 20-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Snowfeet1

Default Fertilizer

What is the preferred fertilizer for vegetables and flowers? Rapid Gro?
Miracle-Gro? Thanks.
Old 20-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Starlord

Steer manure

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"Snowfeet1" wrote in message
What is the preferred fertilizer for vegetables and flowers? Rapid Gro?
Miracle-Gro? Thanks.

---

Old 20-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Pam

animaux wrote:

On 20 Feb 2003 14:58:06 GMT, (Snowfeet1) wrote:

What is the preferred fertilizer for vegetables and flowers? Rapid Gro?
Miracle-Gro? Thanks.

Neither of those are preferred by me. I prefer to use slow release granular or
prill type fertilizer. If you don't like certified organic, you can use
Osmocote. It's synthetic, but will break down slowly as water hits it. The
fertilizer I use on my garden is called Sustane. It is a slow release,
certified organic product. Actually, I use it's sister which is manufactured
here in Texas, which is "LadyBug Brand." The only difference is Sustane does
not have the molasses coating on the fertilizer. Sustane does make LadyBug
Brand, put out by John Dromgoole in Austin.

You can use the two you asked about, but I wouldn't. They are synthetic, add
nothing to the soil or biota of the soil and have a very fast availability,
which makes plants green up quickly, but they lose something in that process.
They lose their health, making your plants weak and attractive to insects. The
chemical companies work hand in hand to promote weak, attractive to insect
plants. They sell more that way.

I would add to V's comments by saying add copius quatities of compost or composted
manure now to improve the soil and add nutrients. There is still plenty of time
for it to breakdown further before planting. Any type of slow release fertilizer
is preferable to the fast kick provided by the two products you mention. There are
many organic ferts or timed-release treated synthetics formulated specifically for
vegetables. They ensure that your plants develop sufficient root systems and set
flower and fruit rather than develop too much leafy growth.

I do use Miracle Gro, but only for container plantings in which soil nutrients are
rapidly leached by regular watering. And even those get a dose of Osmocote each
spring to ensure a slow release of nutrients over the season.

pam - gardengal