Old 22-04-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need to remove my existing driveway

I'm planing to do remove my existing driveway this summer and build
new garage on the other side of the house. Does anyone have experience
with removing pavement driveway? What tools to use? Any tips?
I leave in NJ

Thanks,
Jim

Old 22-04-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

draku wrote:

I'm planing to do remove my existing driveway this summer and build
new garage on the other side of the house. Does anyone have experience
with removing pavement driveway? What tools to use? Any tips?
I leave in NJ

Thanks,
Jim

The Pro's use a Bobcat 'tractor' with forks & a sledge hammer &
support blocks.

These Pro's are musclemen with both the experience & tools/equipment.
Old 22-04-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

If you are lucky, the driveway is a 4" slap poured on a flat surface, and
will come up easily. If you are not lucky, you may find your driveway was
poured over a bed of rubble and construction junk, and will go 12" or deeper
in some places, and will not come up easily. I recently had my driveway
replaced, and part of my driveway was the latter. They actually got their
tractor stuck trying to get some of the pieces up. There were bricks, rock,
and all kinds of junk

Here are some pics of my driveway being removed, it shows some clean slabs
coming up easily, and it shows them having to drill other pieces for every
little piece they could get out.

http://emberts.no-ip.info/stuff/2006.../2006december/

Do like others have suggested. Hire a local excavator to do it for you -
they have the equipment and experience, and know how to get it up and
dispose of it. It's well worth the money, and should not cost very much.

ups.com...

Old 22-04-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 21 Apr 2007 19:56:49 -0700, draku wrote:
I'm planing to do remove my existing driveway this summer and build
new garage on the other side of the house. Does anyone have experience
with removing pavement driveway? What tools to use? Any tips?

Hire it done. Once you get the concrete broken up (and you may be
dealing with re-rod or wire in the slab), you'll have to load it and
find a proper dump or recycling venue for it. Expect the concrete to be
a minimum thickness of 4" -- 5 is quite likely. Then you will also
have to deal with a crushed stone compacted underlayment if it was
done "properly".

But if you really want the exercise, concrete saw or jackhammer, sledgehammer,
pry bars and possibly a sawzall... Don't forget safety glasses, gloves
and steel toe boots. Dust masks are adviseable.

Asphalt and compacted stone are easier to remove, but I suspect your
"pavement" = my "concrete".

Kay

Old 23-04-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

OP "forgot" to note this is an asphalt driveway. See
alt.building.construction newsgroup.

--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins
ups.com...

Old 23-04-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 21, 10:56 pm, draku wrote:
I'm planing to do remove my existing driveway this summer and build
new garage on the other side of the house. Does anyone have experience
with removing pavement driveway? What tools to use? Any tips?
I leave in NJ

Thanks,
Jim

If you like to garden why not erect a series of raised gardens on the
pavement and grow some veggies? http://raised-garden-bed.com/Chapt10.html

Johnny

Old 24-04-2007, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Johnny expounded:

On Apr 21, 10:56 pm, draku wrote:
I'm planing to do remove my existing driveway this summer and build
new garage on the other side of the house. Does anyone have experience
with removing pavement driveway? What tools to use? Any tips?
I leave in NJ

Thanks,
Jim

If you like to garden why not erect a series of raised gardens on the
pavement and grow some veggies? http://raised-garden-bed.com/Chapt10.html

Johnny

It's much better to have it professionally removed. Why keep it if
you can get rid of it? I moved a driveway years ago to the other side
of the house, the worst part was getting rid of the huge curbstones
the original owner had installed.

Also around here it's considered hazardous waste if you bury it at
all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts