Old 22-04-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default A hedge from pines?

Location: Miami, FL zone 10b

I am interested in creating a dense hedge out of pines sort of like this:

http://www.cherylsgardenparty.com/20...aica/Pine2.jpg

Any idea of what types of pines I can use in Florida and what size I should
start with and how far apart to plant? I have a 70 feet long border I like
to use this on.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

MC

Old 22-04-2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Location: Miami, FL zone 10b

I am interested in creating a dense hedge out of pines sort of like
this:

http://www.cherylsgardenparty.com/20...aica/Pine2.jpg

Any idea of what types of pines I can use in Florida and what size I
should start with and how far apart to plant? I have a 70 feet long
border I like to use this on.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

Yuck!

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 22-04-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Location: Miami, FL zone 10b

I am interested in creating a dense hedge out of pines sort of like this:

http://www.cherylsgardenparty.com/20...aica/Pine2.jpg

Any idea of what types of pines I can use in Florida snip

Hi,
This is not a true pine but commonly called Australian pine (Casuarina
equisetifolia) and is an invasive plant. Not sure you can legally plant this
now. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ST129
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 22-04-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article cYDWh.4213$_u2.3017@trnddc04,
"Travis M." wrote:

http://www.cherylsgardenparty.com/20...aica/Pine2.jpg

Travis the Verbose,
are you incinerating the lady lacks taste? Gad man, that's defecation of
chacter.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 22-04-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Location: Miami, FL zone 10b

I am interested in creating a dense hedge out of pines sort of like this:

http://www.cherylsgardenparty.com/20...aica/Pine2.jpg

Any idea of what types of pines I can use in Florida and what size I
should start with and how far apart to plant? I have a 70 feet long
border I like to use this on.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

MC

These are Australian pines (Casuarina), an invasive exotic -- Florida is
trying to eradicate them, I believe there are regulations against planting
them (in fact, Palm Beach County has a requirement that they be removed from
all properties) and Casuarina is not available in nurseries. It's not a real
pine tree, and I don't know of a pine that will grow in Florida that could
be used for your proposed purpose.

Check http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/caeq1.htm for information on
Australian pines and possible substitutes.

Your extension service has a U of FL IFAS pamphlet on hedges and shrubs for
south Florida. I also found the following comment at the Lee County
extension service web site
(http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/horticulture...dations1.htm):
"Here are some recommended plants used to attract wildlife that make fine
hedges but are not necessarily fast growers; Walter viburnum, wax myrtle,
Southern red cedar, cocoplum, white stopper, dahoon holly and Jamaican
caper."

I like the dahoon holly, but it's not a fast grower. Regards --