Old 27-04-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default White snake

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:34:09 -0400, Bill R
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I couldn't tell you how many snakes we have, but there are at least a
few dozen babies and that I've seen, ten adults. We love them. Why
kill them? You a big scardey cat?

Same feelings here. Snakes are good in a garden. They eat a lot of
bugs and small rodents. Here are some pictures of some of them in my
garden: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/snakes.htm

Looks like mostly rat snakes. The biggest we have is about four or
five feet long, but their heads a teeney weeney. The babies are
adorable. I wish I had a place to post some photos. We have tons and
tons of fence lizards, anole lizards, two lined skinks and then
there's the huge mammal who poops huge doots on the roof of the shed.
I have to ask Mark if he's seen any new ones lately. I haven't asked
him for a poop report in a few days.

I see you grow cherry tomatoes. Last years I grew the 'Sweet Million'
which are grape tomatoes and the Cardinal's sat there all day feeding
their fledged babies. It was funny when they'd chomp down and the
juice would squirt out.
Old 27-04-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 27, 8:33 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 4/26/07 9:30 PM, in article ,

"Jangchub" wrote:
On 26 Apr 2007 10:17:51 -0700, Frank wrote:

Neigbor got mad at me once when I told her I killed a large black
snake.
I said, "Well next time, Louise, I'll just put the snake in your
yard."
Then, she really got ****ed
Frank

I couldn't tell you how many snakes we have, but there are at least a
few dozen babies and that I've seen, ten adults. We love them. Why
kill them? You a big scardey cat?

My kids love the snakes in the yard....

My favorite snake story was when I was a kid and caught a small garter
snake.
We put it in an M&M bag and offered M&M's to Billy who was scared to
death of snakes. Billy was standing there along side his bike and
I'll never forget how he jumped and ran, letting his bike fall to the
ground, when he saw what was in the bag

Frank

Old 27-04-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Same feelings here. Snakes are good in a garden. They eat a lot of
bugs and small rodents. Here are some pictures of some of them in my
garden: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/snakes.htm

Looks like mostly rat snakes. The biggest we have is about four or
five feet long, but their heads a teeney weeney. The babies are
adorable. I wish I had a place to post some photos. We have tons and
tons of fence lizards, anole lizards, two lined skinks and then
there's the huge mammal who poops huge doots on the roof of the shed.
I have to ask Mark if he's seen any new ones lately. I haven't asked
him for a poop report in a few days.

I see you grow cherry tomatoes. Last years I grew the 'Sweet Million'
which are grape tomatoes and the Cardinal's sat there all day feeding
their fledged babies. It was funny when they'd chomp down and the
juice would squirt out.

No rat snakes here. All of them are garter snakes.

Yes, I grow cherry tomatoes and usually about two dozen other varieties
(about 9 - 10 dozen plants). This year I am cutting back a little; it
is getting to be too much work. Still, I'll have about 5 dozen plants
(a lot of "salad" varieties). There will be plenty for us and the
neighbors too (none for the snakes).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 28-04-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

I wish I had a place to post some photos. We have tons and
tons of fence lizards, anole lizards, two lined skinks and then
there's the huge mammal who poops huge doots on the roof of the shed.

I forgot to mention this in my other post. You can always post your
photos in one of the newsgroups like news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
or news:alt.binaries.pictures.nature

We would love to see your critters.

Old 28-04-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 27 Apr 2007 15:09:09 -0700, Frank wrote:

My favorite snake story was when I was a kid and caught a small garter
snake.
We put it in an M&M bag and offered M&M's to Billy who was scared to
death of snakes. Billy was standing there along side his bike and
I'll never forget how he jumped and ran, letting his bike fall to the
ground, when he saw what was in the bag

Frank

More mean spiritedness. I see a theme here.

Old 28-04-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:02:36 -0400, Bill R
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I wish I had a place to post some photos. We have tons and
tons of fence lizards, anole lizards, two lined skinks and then
there's the huge mammal who poops huge doots on the roof of the shed.

I forgot to mention this in my other post. You can always post your
photos in one of the newsgroups like news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
or news:alt.binaries.pictures.nature

We would love to see your critters.

I posted them in the nature newsgroup. They are not up yet. I may
have posted too many. Let me know if you have any questions about any
of the critters.
Old 28-04-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote:

My favorite snake story was when I was a kid and caught a small garter
snake.
We put it in an M&M bag and offered M&M's to Billy who was scared to
death of snakes. Billy was standing there along side his bike and
I'll never forget how he jumped and ran, letting his bike fall to the
ground, when he saw what was in the bag

Frank

Ahhhh. Poor Billy. Did he grow up to be a confirmed snake hater/killer
after that?

~~ Shelly ~~

Old 28-04-2007, 07:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I wish I had a place to post some photos. We have tons and
tons of fence lizards, anole lizards, two lined skinks and then
there's the huge mammal who poops huge doots on the roof of the shed.

I forgot to mention this in my other post. You can always post your
photos in one of the newsgroups like news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

or news:alt.binaries.pictures.nature

Thanks for that reference. I didn't know about the Nature group.

We would love to see your critters.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:

Snake showed up again, this time in back yard. My housemate wanted to
catch it but I was worried about liability in case...

This time Animal Control came promptly and caged it. Officer told me
it was an Albino Corn Snake.

Well, I hope they don't kill it. They're too pretty and besides,
they're valuable - a nice healthy albino (amelanistic) corn snake can
fetch as much as $150.

On another note, please don't kill snakes out of turn. They don't do
any harm to you, and keep rodents in check.

--Yan
Old 05-05-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 04 May 2007 12:57:17 -0700, CptDondo
wrote:

Persephone wrote:

Snake showed up again, this time in back yard. My housemate wanted to
catch it but I was worried about liability in case...

This time Animal Control came promptly and caged it. Officer told me
it was an Albino Corn Snake.

Well, I hope they don't kill it. They're too pretty and besides,
they're valuable - a nice healthy albino (amelanistic) corn snake can
fetch as much as $150.

NOW you tell me! g

Maybe I'll call the Animal Shelter, just out of curiosity, to see what
they do/did with it. (I'm not about go go into the Albino Corn Snake
business!)

On another note, please don't kill snakes out of turn. They don't do
any harm to you, and keep rodents in check.

You're right, and I was wrong to panic before identifying the snake
and making sure it wasn't harmful. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Persephone

Old 05-05-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Persephone wrote:

Snake showed up again, this time in back yard. My housemate wanted to
catch it but I was worried about liability in case...

This time Animal Control came promptly and caged it. Officer told me
it was an Albino Corn Snake.

Well, I hope they don't kill it. They're too pretty and besides,
they're valuable - a nice healthy albino (amelanistic) corn snake can
fetch as much as $150.

On another note, please don't kill snakes out of turn. They don't do
any harm to you, and keep rodents in check.

--Yan

It's probably dead already. Animal control is supposed to be people
who help animals, but many times they are just sadistic assholes. At
least here in my neck of the woods they are.