GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Insect killer & crabgrass preemergent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/157682-insect-killer-crabgrass-preemergent.html)

Nathanael 29-04-2007 04:36 AM

Insect killer & crabgrass preemergent

I applied the crabgrass preventor about a month ago, and wish to put
down some insect killer on the lawn now to keep the grass bug free for
when the kids play on it. Will this break that protective barrier that
they say the preemergent gives to the lawn?

[email protected] 29-04-2007 09:24 AM

On Apr 28, 8:36 pm, Nathanael wrote:
I applied the crabgrass preventor about a month ago, and wish to put
down some insect killer on the lawn now to keep the grass bug free for
when the kids play on it. Will this break that protective barrier that
they say the preemergent gives to the lawn?

I don't think an insecticide will interfere with the operation of a
pre-emergent herbicide. At any rate, you can look at the instructions
for your pre-emergent herbicide and see how long it says to wait
before it is safe to sow grass seeds. After that amount of time you
don't have to worry about anything affecting it. The way a pre-
emergent typically works is that it is absorbed by seeds, and causes
them to die when they germinate.

On the other hand, I don't know why you want to use insecticide on
your lawn, especially if your kids play there. I'd worry more about
the poison chemicals than I would about the bugs.

BF

Chris and Jacqui 29-04-2007 03:54 PM

Insect killer & crabgrass preemergent

"Nathanael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I applied the crabgrass preventor about a month ago, and wish to put
down some insect killer on the lawn now to keep the grass bug free for
when the kids play on it. Will this break that protective barrier that
they say the preemergent gives to the lawn?

Your children are far more likely to be harmed by the toxic chemicals you
use to kill insects than the insects themselves.

Jacqui

John Bachman 29-04-2007 04:15 PM

On 28 Apr 2007 20:36:02 -0700, Nathanael wrote:

I applied the crabgrass preventor about a month ago, and wish to put
down some insect killer on the lawn now to keep the grass bug free for
when the kids play on it. Will this break that protective barrier that
they say the preemergent gives to the lawn?

First identify which insects you are after. Then select the product
that targets those insects and READ THE LABEL.

Many of the insects that you are concerned will bug your children are
not in the ground to begin with but fly into the area. Treating the
soil will do nothing to prevent these.

John

[email protected] 02-05-2007 02:37 PM

Insect killer & crabgrass preemergent

yeah.. I agree and I do use chemicals IF there is something that is really out of
control. Ingrid

wrote:
On the other hand, I don't know why you want to use insecticide on
your lawn, especially if your kids play there. I'd worry more about
the poison chemicals than I would about the bugs.

BF

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

raycruzer 03-05-2007 05:24 PM

wrote:
On the other hand, I don't know why you want to use insecticide on
your lawn, especially if your kids play there. I'd worry more about
the poison chemicals than I would about the bugs.

BF

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List athttp://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...w.drsolo.c om
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

To read the label of the most popular postemergent, you can see it
he weedtwister.com/roundup_label.htm

-----
At peace with weeds!