GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dog Pee in Potential Garden Site (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/157719-dog-pee-potential-garden-site.html)

Connyc 30-04-2007 01:32 AM

Dog Pee in Potential Garden Site

Sorry if this is offensive to some, but we have an elderly dog who,
because of mobility problems over this past winter, has been peeing in
an area near our back kitchen door. It's been grassy lawn but is now
damaged.

We want to improve this situation, and wish to develop the area with
brick paving and mulched landscape plantings.

To be blunt, do you know of any specific shrubs or plants which may
flourish in the acidic pee-soaked soil of this area? We'll be adding
fresh topsoil and feeding with Miracle-Gro .... any other suggestions?

Gratefully,

Connie

Charles[_1_] 30-04-2007 01:51 AM

On 29 Apr 2007 17:32:26 -0700, Connyc wrote:

Sorry if this is offensive to some, but we have an elderly dog who,
because of mobility problems over this past winter, has been peeing in
an area near our back kitchen door. It's been grassy lawn but is now
damaged.

We want to improve this situation, and wish to develop the area with
brick paving and mulched landscape plantings.

To be blunt, do you know of any specific shrubs or plants which may
flourish in the acidic pee-soaked soil of this area? We'll be adding
fresh topsoil and feeding with Miracle-Gro .... any other suggestions?

Gratefully,

Connie

I expect that total salt buildup will be the primary problem,
Miracle-Gro will make it worse. Flush the area with lots of water to
wash out whatever you can.

** Frank ** 30-04-2007 04:16 PM

Dog Pee in Potential Garden Site

"Connyc" wrote in message
ps.com...
Sorry if this is offensive to some, but we have an elderly dog who,
because of mobility problems over this past winter, has been peeing in
an area near our back kitchen door.

Sorry, couldn't help you with the garden but have you thought about using
Depend for your dog?

Persephone 30-04-2007 06:58 PM

Dog Pee in Potential Garden Site

On 29 Apr 2007 17:32:26 -0700, Connyc wrote:

Sorry if this is offensive to some, but we have an elderly dog who,
because of mobility problems over this past winter, has been peeing in
an area near our back kitchen door. It's been grassy lawn but is now
damaged.

We want to improve this situation, and wish to develop the area with
brick paving and mulched landscape plantings.

To be blunt, do you know of any specific shrubs or plants which may
flourish in the acidic pee-soaked soil of this area? We'll be adding
fresh topsoil and feeding with Miracle-Gro .... any other suggestions?

Gratefully,

Connie

Connie, even after you implement suggestions from other posters, how
will you keep elderly dog from re-using site? Can he/she be
induced to use a dog toilet? I mean between the time when you
flush out or otherwise eliminate the dog pee, and the time when
you actually develop the area per your outline.

Persephone