Old 05-05-2007, 07:07 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

Default Bees, Hornets, and Global "Warming"

Could this be why bees are disappearing?

Yesterday evening, while waiting for a bus, I noticed a bunch of bees
dead on the pavement. I also noticed a hornet trying to carry away a
dead bee body. Now I've seen this before so I figured that bees and
hornets fight. And they do. Now I thought to myself, what if the
missing bees are succumbing to a greater number or to the activity of
hornets that is somehow related to global "warming". So I did a
little "googling" and BINGO, a potential link. It turns out that
hornets can be more active when exposed to more UV light because they
stay cooler! So if greater solar activity is causing more UV light
and warming, which I believe it is, it could also explain the missing
bees. (See article)

Any comments?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.conspiracy/topics

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/7/6/2/1

Insects stay cool with thermoelectricity

Researchers in Israel have found the first evidence for natural heat
pumps in living creatures. David Bergman and colleagues from Tel Aviv
University used infrared imaging to show that wasps can sometimes
remain much cooler than their surroundings. This is also the first
time that the thermoelectric effect has been seen to play a role in
the physiology of an animal (J S Ishay et al. 2003 Phys. Rev. Lett 90
218102).

Some wasps and hornets live in parts of the world where local
temperatures can reach 60 oC or more. 'Social' wasps live in nests and
regularly go outside to forage for food. During such activities the
wasp produces heat that originates in its flight muscles and then
spreads throughout the rest of its body. This should make the wasps
even hotter but in experiments with oriental hornets Bergman and co-
workers found that the internal body temperature of the wasps could be
significantly cooler than the ambient temperature.

The Israeli workers argue that the insect must possess a heat pump,
which works by using power generated from electrochemical reactions in
its body. They believe that additional power is generated by the
photovoltaic effect in the hornet's shell. This means that an
electrical current is produced when the shell is exposed to sunlight -
in a mechanism similar to that in a semiconductor p-n junction when
irradiated with visible or ultraviolet light. "This could explain how
hornets remain active even on very hot summer days," Bergman told
PhysicsWeb.

The researchers also took transmission and scanning electron
micrographs of the shell. They observed a microstructure that was very
similar to that of a practical thermoelectric heat pump - but on a
different length scale (see figure).

Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

On May 5, 10:07 am, Hurt wrote:
Could this be why bees are disappearing?

Yesterday evening, while waiting for a bus, I noticed a bunch of bees
dead on the pavement. I also noticed a hornet trying to carry away a
dead bee body. Now I've seen this before so I figured that bees and
hornets fight. And they do. Now I thought to myself, what if the
missing bees are succumbing to a greater number or to the activity of
hornets that is somehow related to global "warming". So I did a
little "googling" and BINGO, a potential link. It turns out that
hornets can be more active when exposed to more UV light because they
stay cooler! So if greater solar activity is causing more UV light
and warming, which I believe it is, it could also explain the missing
bees.

To bad that your Googleing didn't find this:

Over the last 29 years direct, not proxy, measurement of the
Sun's output has shown no long term growth large enough to
explain the warming of the Earth, only an 11-year cycle
is noticed:
http://www.pmodwrc.ch/pmod.php?topic.../SolarConstant
http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Ch...rming_999.html

Old 05-05-2007, 08:30 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

Default Bees, Hornets, and Hanson Helped Kill 36 Human Beings with Global Warming

Hanson Helped Kill 36 Human Beings with Global Warming

Heat wave in Orissa, 36 dead
Jajati Karan

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india/05...ead-39594.html

Bhubaneshwar: The heat wave in Orissa has claimed the lives of 36
people though official figures put the toll at six. With temperature
rising over 43 degrees Celsius particularly in western part of the
state, there is no respite in sight for the people of Orissa.

For 44-year-old Birendra Mahasuara, a priest at the Kedar Gouri temple
in Bhubaneswar, an early morning bath in the temple pond is a daily
ritual. But with temperatures crossing 43 degrees Celsius, it is not a
ritual any more but a compulsion.

"I am a priest; I cannot afford AC in my house. So by bathing at least
four times in a day I try to keep my body cool," says Birendra
Mahasuara.

The state government has already initiated some measures to combat the
heat like changing the working hours for labourers and school timing
for children.

Even the Meteorological department in Bhubaneswar says the heat wave
will not abate soon.

"There is some sea breeze in coastal Orissa but that does not reach
western Orissa due to North westerly hot winds flowing there. So it's
becoming very hot out there," Director of Meteorological department
(Bhubaneswar) SC Sahoo says.

So far in Orissa the highest temperature has been 50.1 degree Celsius
recorded at Titlagarh in 2003. The people in Orissa have already
experienced such extreme weather in the past and that is why they have
also learnt the art of beating the heat.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Anyone who thinks that nut cases actions was caused by Global Warming needs
to go to Bad Water Death Valley and sit there in the full sun during the
middle of the summer time. I'm sure their bodys would turned into food for a
lot of bugs.

I also cut out the stupid cross posting.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"Hanson the Trained Dancing Monkey" wrote
in message ups.com...

Old 05-05-2007, 09:22 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

Over the last 29 years direct, not proxy, measurement of the
Sun's output has shown no long term growth large enough to
explain the warming of the Earth, only an 11-year cycle
is noticed:

You're like a parrot; over and over again with the same squawk. Very
well. For the benefit of those who might be swayed by your misery.
Those satellites only measure radiation from ~200nm to 2000nm. The
Sun is most variable in the UV portion of the spectrum. It also emits
large quantities of microwaves during coronal mass ejections. Plus
there is always the ever present galactic microwave background
radiation through which our solar system is passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...irradiance.jpg
http://www.google.com/search?q=coron...ion+microwaves
http://www.google.com/images?q=coronal+mass+ejection

Old 05-05-2007, 09:34 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

schrieb im Newsbeitrag ups.com...

Over the last 29 years direct, not proxy, measurement of the
Sun's output has shown no long term growth large enough to
explain the warming of the Earth, only an 11-year cycle
is noticed:

You're like a parrot; over and over again with the same squawk. Very
well. For the benefit of those who might be swayed by your misery.
Those satellites only measure radiation from ~200nm to 2000nm. The
Sun is most variable in the UV portion of the spectrum. It also emits
large quantities of microwaves during coronal mass ejections. Plus
there is always the ever present galactic microwave background
radiation through which our solar system is passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...irradiance.jpg
http://www.google.com/search?q=coron...ion+microwaves
http://www.google.com/images?q=coronal+mass+ejection

Total solar irradiance (TSI) variations may be small, but weren't it those
AGWs who claim that small changes in their models might have an excessive
change in the resulted output?

Furthermore TSI is not all, what sun is providing.
Sun is modulating CRF, that again is reversely modulating LACC and
therefore cooling.
This effect can be much more stronger than any CO2 GH effect can ever be.

http://www.phys.huji.ac.il/~shaviv/a...ensitivity.pdf
http://www.john-daly.com/solar/solar.htm
http://www.schulphysik.de/klima/elnino/sun-enso.htm

Old 05-05-2007, 09:35 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

On May 5, 12:22 pm, wrote:
Over the last 29 years direct, not proxy, measurement of the
Sun's output has shown no long term growth large enough to
explain the warming of the Earth, only an 11-year cycle
is noticed:

You're like a parrot; over and over again with the same squawk. Very
well. For the benefit of those who might be swayed by your misery.
Those satellites only measure radiation from ~200nm to 2000nm. The
Sun is most variable in the UV portion of the spectrum. It also emits
large quantities of microwaves during coronal mass ejections. Plus
there is always the ever present galactic microwave background
radiation through which our solar system is passing.

None of that crap means a dam. The ozone lay sops up the UV. RED
HERRING.

If a solar Coronal Mass Ejection with the equivalent mass of 7,000
battleships moving at 1/3rd the speed of light ever hits the Earth,
that's the end of life as we know it. Fortunately it never happened in
3 billion years of Earth life history. Looking from Earth towards the
sun the disc in the sky is a small spot even though the sun is 1000s
of times larger than Earth -- looking back from the sun outwards the
Earth is the size of the period on the end of this sentence, a very
small target. It's a RED HERRING.

Solar Microwaves don't mean a damn, and neither does the background
microwaves. When cell phones stop operating you'll know there are
extra microwaves more than the kind there has been for billions of
years. ANOTHER RED HERRING.

You are just another Republican God-Damned Liar.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

http://www.john-daly.com/solar/solar.htm

Wow, that's great. Read 3. and 4. Precisely what I've been saying.
I visited this site before and never even saw this page.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:48 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

On May 5, 12:22 pm, wrote:
Over the last 29 years direct, not proxy, measurement of the
Sun's output has shown no long term growth large enough to
explain the warming of the Earth, only an 11-year cycle
is noticed:

You're like a parrot; over and over again with the same squawk. Very
well. For the benefit of those who might be swayed by your misery.
Those satellites only measure radiation from ~200nm to 2000nm. The
Sun is most variable in the UV portion of the spectrum. It also emits
large quantities of microwaves during coronal mass ejections. Plus
there is always the ever present galactic microwave background
radiation through which our solar system is passing.

None of that crap means a dam. The ozone lay sops up the UV. RED
HERRING.

Liar.
Didn't the AGWs claim that the ozone hole is excessively increase?
Soping up UV?

If a solar Coronal Mass Ejection with the equivalent mass of 7,000
battleships moving at 1/3rd the speed of light ever hits the Earth,
that's the end of life as we know it. Fortunately it never happened in
3 billion years of Earth life history. Looking from Earth towards the
sun the disc in the sky is a small spot even though the sun is 1000s
of times larger than Earth -- looking back from the sun outwards the
Earth is the size of the period on the end of this sentence, a very
small target. It's a RED HERRING.

Solar Microwaves don't mean a damn, and neither does the background
microwaves. When cell phones stop operating you'll know there are
extra microwaves more than the kind there has been for billions of
years. ANOTHER RED HERRING.

They had cellphones for billions of years? Who?
Anyway... Liar!

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ec_cycle24.htm
Old 05-05-2007, 09:54 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

"Hurt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag oups.com...

http://www.john-daly.com/solar/solar.htm

Wow, that's great. Read 3. and 4. Precisely what I've been saying.
I visited this site before and never even saw this page.

Unfortunately there is not a steady link validation on John Dalys page.
Many links are invalid or moved. But with the help of some great
scientists I'm in contact I found them.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:00 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens
kT kT is offline

Default Peter Muehlbauer and Antarctica

Peter Muehlbauer wrote:

with the help of some great scientists I'm in contact I found them.\

From the guy who thought the Antarctic was a floating ice raft :

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...6af3645?hl=en&

Quoting Peter Muehlbauer :

Antarctica IS SEA ICE, nothing else.
There is no landmass below antarctica... idiot!

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

"Hurt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag oups.com...

http://www.john-daly.com/solar/solar.htm

Wow, that's great. Read 3. and 4. Precisely what I've been saying.
I visited this site before and never even saw this page.

BTW about bees:
My parents an grandparents were beekeepers.
There is no sign of disappering bees here in Germany.
No bee club and not even the ministry of agriculture know something
about disappering bees here.
Must be a local problem of US.
The biggest rumors I've heard (only rumors!) as to this was a notice
about genetically modified corn, or minor changes in earths magnetic
field (bees use it as a kind of GPS to find home in addition to the
orientation by sun). Might be there is a point.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:04 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,rec.gardens
kT kT is offline

Default Theodor Landscheidt : German Judge, Astrologer and Amateur Climatologist.

Hurt wrote:

http://www.john-daly

Theodor Landscheidt (born in 1927 in Bremen, Germany, died on May 20,
2004) was a German judge, astrologer and amateur climatologist.

In 1983 he founded the Schroeter Institute for Research in Cycles of
Solar Activity in Lilienthal, near Bremen. The Institute (for which
Landscheidt appears to have been the only active researcher) later moved
with him to Nova Scotia, Canada.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

Solar Microwaves don't mean a damn, and neither does the background
microwaves. When cell phones stop operating you'll know there are
extra microwaves more than the kind there has been for billions of
years. ANOTHER RED HERRING.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ne_020306.html

Next time your cell phone drops a call, don't rush to blame your
service provider. The culprit may well be an angry Sun.

A new study of 40 years of solar data shows that during peaks in
activity, bursts of energy from the Sun can potentially cause dropped
calls for some cell phone users across wide areas twice per week. The
problem is caused when radio waves associated with the bursts hit cell
phone towers, creating static that overwhelms the signal at the tower,
where calls are relayed.

The result, for you, may often be sudden silence.

These flashes of radio energy arrive at the speed of light, roughly 8
minutes from the Sun to Earth.

"There's absolutely no warning," said Dale Gary, a physicist at New
Jersey Institute of Technology and leader of the study.

Confusion

In a telephone interview, Gary explained that the problem has to do
mostly with the fact that cell phone towers need to face the horizon
in order to communicate with users and other towers.Those that face
east or west look directly into the Sun at sunrise or sunset.If a
burst occurs then, the tower sustains a direct hit and is unable to
sort out wireless calls from unwanted signals.

Which, for commuters, could mean isolation during drive-time. The
events can last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

"If you have poor service normally, you'll have worse service when
there's an event like this going on," Gary said, adding that there is
no way for you to know if your calls are cut off due to spotty service
or an solar event.

Gary and his colleagues studied four decades of solar data provided by
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. A paper on their
work will be published March 7 in the journal Radio Science, published
by the American Geophysical Union.

The Sun's activity runs in roughly 11-year cycles, and the study
covered four peaks in this cycle. During peaks, the Sun has more
sunspots and spits out more hot gas in the form of solar flares and
coronal mass ejections, along with the increased radio emissions.

The researchers found that, on average, bursts powerful enough to
disrupt wireless communications occur 10-20times per year.

Or maybe more

In a follow-up study that has yet to be published, however, Gary and
his colleagues looked deeper into the data and found hints of more
events that were missed by an evolving monitoring system that dates
back to 1960. Gary said the newer study shows that during peaks of
solar activity, when bursts are much more likely, potentially
disruptive radio spikes can strike every 3.5 days. During the years-
long lullsin the solar cycle, as many as one disruption every 18.5
days might occur.

The most recent peak in the solar cycle -- a stretch of time that
actually last for months -- occurred in July 200, but NASA scientists
say a second peak surprisingly cropped up in recent months.

Gary said there's little chance of solving the problem soon. Future
reception might be improved, though. Towers could be positioned to
point anywhere but east and west, he said. And cellphones might be
designed to handle higher levels of noise. But that means making them
more powerful, raising possible health concerns.

The research team also included Louis Lanzerotti of Lucent
Technologies' Bell Labs, along with Bala Balachandran and David
Thomson, who were at Bell Labs when the research was done.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:14 PM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens

The biggest rumors I've heard (only rumors!) as to this was a notice
about genetically modified corn, or minor changes in earths magnetic
field (bees use it as a kind of GPS to find home in addition to the
orientation by sun). Might be there is a point.

There you go. The bees get disoriented, wander into hornet territory,
and become roadkill. Sounds simplistically funny but it might be just
that simple.