Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens,soc.culture.china

Default Anyone here gather bamboo shoots?

It's common for running bamboo to overtake people's yards around
here. Fairly easy to get free bamboo shoots by offering to harvest
them.

I'll have to find another source since both my regular sources cleared
their patch an applied chemical control.

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

Ahhh! Free poke and bamboo shoot are some benefits of spring.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

At a garden where I volunteer there is a huge, ancient and spreading
patch of green bamboo, Once a year or so we have to forcibly restrain
it. Even raw, the new young shoots are crunchily delicious. I love
cooked bamboo shoots in Chinese food, so must get the loppers out again
:-)

You guys are making me hungry! We had a bamboo tree but it died :-(

Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
nk.net...
After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip
them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait
couple days and they're few feet tall.

At a garden where I volunteer there is a huge, ancient and
spreading
patch of green bamboo, Once a year or so we have to forcibly
restrain
it. Even raw, the new young shoots are crunchily delicious. I love
cooked bamboo shoots in Chinese food, so must get the loppers out
again
:-)

You guys are making me hungry! We had a bamboo tree but it died :-(

Bamboo is not a tree it is in the grass family.
http://www.bambooweb.info/
http://bamboo.org/

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens,soc.culture.china

On May 7, 10:24 am, James wrote:
It's common for running bamboo to overtake people's yards around
here. Fairly easy to get free bamboo shoots by offering to harvest
them.

I'll have to find another source since both my regular sources cleared
their patch an applied chemical control.

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

Ahhh! Free poke and bamboo shoot are some benefits of spring.

Yea, I get them at a supermarket. They come in cans.