Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default "fence mulch", mow strip, underlayment, whatchacallit

A couple of years back, I bought some "fence mulch" as they called it,
from Gardeners Supply, about a foot wide, sits under chainlink fences
and keeps grass and weeds from growing where you can't mow. Same idea
as "mow strips", same idea as landscape fabric, but solid, heavier
plastic, not flexible fabric, so it just stays put by itself, no
staking, no covering with gravel. Came in a box of like 3 foot long
pieces that sort of interlocked/overlapped. Had holes prepunched for
chain-link posts. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer.

Anyway, I did half my fence and now they don't stock it any more and
don't know where it can be found. A LOT of web searching (and froogle
and groups) doesn't help; I get links to the old Gardeners Supply
page, and a lot of patents but nobody selling it.

Anybody know where I can still get this stuff?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

z said:

A couple of years back, I bought some "fence mulch" as they called it,
from Gardeners Supply, about a foot wide, sits under chainlink fences
and keeps grass and weeds from growing where you can't mow.

Anyway, I did half my fence and now they don't stock it any more and
don't know where it can be found. A LOT of web searching (and froogle
and groups) doesn't help; I get links to the old Gardeners Supply
page, and a lot of patents but nobody selling it.

Anybody know where I can still get this stuff?

Have you already tried calling/contacting Gardeners Supply to ask if they
dropped the product because the *manufacturerI discontinued it and, if
the answer is 'no' perhaps they can supply contact information for the
manufacturer. (It would help if you could glean any part numbers or
catalog labels from those old web pages.)

Sadly, if the manufacturer stopped making it you are almost certainly
out of luck. I've been in that situation before.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Walmart sells it. It's called Roundup.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Steve Barker" expounded:

Walmart sells it. It's called Roundup.

Hardly. Unfortunately what the original poster wants isn't available,
it was made from recycled tires and was found to degrade and release
chemicals into the soil. Sort of like your Roundup.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On May 8, 10:00 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Walmart sells it. It's called Roundup.

--
Steve Barker

"z" wrote in message

ups.com...

A couple of years back, I bought some "fence mulch" as they called it,
from Gardeners Supply, about a foot wide, sits under chainlink fences
and keeps grass and weeds from growing where you can't mow. Same idea
as "mow strips", same idea as landscape fabric, but solid, heavier
plastic, not flexible fabric, so it just stays put by itself, no
staking, no covering with gravel. Came in a box of like 3 foot long
pieces that sort of interlocked/overlapped. Had holes prepunched for
chain-link posts. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer.

Anyway, I did half my fence and now they don't stock it any more and
don't know where it can be found. A LOT of web searching (and froogle
and groups) doesn't help; I get links to the old Gardeners Supply
page, and a lot of patents but nobody selling it.

Anybody know where I can still get this stuff?- Hide quoted text -

Which works fine if you want:

1. Instant weeds
2. Grass back next season (or even late this season)

Harry K

Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

We use the roundup pro once a year and have a dirt bare stripe under about
1/4 mile of fence. You should try it before deciding what's gonna happen.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Harry K" wrote in message

ups.com...

Which works fine if you want:

1. Instant weeds
2. Grass back next season (or even late this season)

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

??? I have been using Roundup since the first year it came out.
Granted I haven't used the "Pro" version but if it will keep anything
from growing for a year, then it has some ground killing ingredient
other than glipsophate in it.

Harry K

Old 17-05-2007, 07:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"z" wrote

A couple of years back, I bought some "fence mulch" as they called it,
from Gardeners Supply, about a foot wide, sits under chainlink fences
and keeps grass and weeds from growing where you can't mow. Same idea
as "mow strips", same idea as landscape fabric, but solid, heavier
plastic, not flexible fabric, so it just stays put by itself, no
staking, no covering with gravel. Came in a box of like 3 foot long
pieces that sort of interlocked/overlapped. Had holes prepunched for
chain-link posts. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer.

I was at Lowes today looking for something and what did I see
but this product you were looking for. Perm-a-Mulch. Sorry, they
didn't have a price on it. It was stacked by the rolls of hardware
cloth/that other roll out type of metal chicken wire stuff. Hope that
helps.

nancy

Old 17-05-2007, 09:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
v v is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 13:26:40 -0400, someone wrote:

I was at Lowes today looking for something and what did I see
but this product you were looking for. Perm-a-Mulch. Sorry, they
didn't have a price on it. It was stacked by the rolls of hardware
cloth/that other roll out type of metal chicken wire stuff. Hope that
helps.

???
So does this stuff just lie on top of the ground? Both sides of the
fence, the neighbor's too? Seems like the cure worse than the
disease?

This is what weed-whackers are for!

Old 17-05-2007, 11:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
z z is offline

On May 17, 1:26 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"z" wrote

[...]

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah, i know that stuff, I've been using it
around trees and as a 'mow strip' for the border of gardens, etc. It's
porous, though, and stuff grows through, so it needs to be maintained
now and then; not a problem for where I've been using it, but the
stuff I was using under the fence is solid vinyl, thinner (though not
thin enough to roll up like wee barrier fabric). As folks have
suggested, it's not pretty, like the perm-a-mulch, but it's severely
permanent.

Thanks again for thinking of me, though!!

Old 17-05-2007, 11:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
z z is offline

On May 17, 3:37 pm, (v) wrote:

???
So does this stuff just lie on top of the ground? Both sides of the
fence, the neighbor's too?

Yeah, you get the idea. Not the most attractive item, but it's under a
chain link fence, which is rusty no less, so I figure it's at least a
draw on appearance.

Old 17-05-2007, 11:15 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

v wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 13:26:40 -0400, someone wrote:

I was at Lowes today looking for something and what did I see
but this product you were looking for. Perm-a-Mulch. Sorry, they
didn't have a price on it. It was stacked by the rolls of hardware
cloth/that other roll out type of metal chicken wire stuff. Hope that
helps.

???
So does this stuff just lie on top of the ground? Both sides of the
fence, the neighbor's too? Seems like the cure worse than the
disease?

This is what weed-whackers are for!

Priced gas lately? I'd rather lay down that mulch than have to
weed-whack and then mow what I didn't weed-whack.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 18-05-2007, 07:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
z z is offline

On May 17, 5:15 pm, willshak wrote:
v wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 13:26:40 -0400, someone wrote:

I was at Lowes today looking for something and what did I see
but this product you were looking for. Perm-a-Mulch. Sorry, they
didn't have a price on it. It was stacked by the rolls of hardware
cloth/that other roll out type of metal chicken wire stuff. Hope that
helps.

???
So does this stuff just lie on top of the ground? Both sides of the
fence, the neighbor's too? Seems like the cure worse than the
disease?

This is what weed-whackers are for!

Priced gas lately? I'd rather lay down that mulch than have to
weed-whack and then mow what I didn't weed-whack.

My weeds seem to chop the weed whacker string faster than vice versa.

[IMG] code is On

What to do with the dark strip between the house and the fence? Staycalm[_2_] Australia 3 06-01-2008 02:17 PM
Anyone tried "No Mow" or "Eco-Lawn" grass seed, for low maintenance lawn? DK[_2_] Gardening 0 21-06-2007 07:04 PM
Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 05:10 AM
Old carpet for pond underlayment Harriett Wright Ponds 20 24-10-2004 08:36 AM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 02:05 PM