Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tennis court to garden

I have an old cracked tennis court in my backyard. Came with the
house. I would love to turn it into a lawn, but I'm concerned it'll
turn into a huge pile of mud. Any ideas on how to turn a tennis court
into a low maintenance garden?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is is a dirt floor or blacktop or cement. Dirt could be tilled and amended
nicely. The other surfaces need elbow grease then the amending and tilling.

--
"God has a plan for me. I don't know what that is, and I'm
not leaving until I find out."

BetsyB

oups.com...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 9, 3:42 am, wrote:
I have an old cracked tennis court in my backyard. Came with the
house. I would love to turn it into a lawn, but I'm concerned it'll
turn into a huge pile of mud. Any ideas on how to turn a tennis court
into a low maintenance garden?

Start by digging a hole in it to see what is underneath. You don't
want to be incorporating a whole lot of rock, builder's rubbish or
other mess into your garden.

I would rip up and remove whatever it is made of unless it is grass.
Even if it is just clay it will be inches thick and very compacted due
to repeated rollings. Pure clay makes very poor garden soil which
will require much ammendment to be any good even if you loosen it up.
Easier to get rid of it. The aim with a tennin court (except grass) is
for plants to NOT grow on it. When you see what is underneath you can
decide on how to proceed then.

If it is grass then it will need to be ripped or plowed in some way as
although grass grows there the soil is still quite compacted.

Doing this by hand would be murderously hard work even if you are
young and fit. A tiller or cultivator is also unlikely to get through
it, some heavy equipment will be required. Around here you would get
a neighbour with a tractor and start with a single-point deep ripper
and then change it for a plow. A bobcat or some other digger would be
needed to remove material if that is required.

After you have got to something that resembles soil you will need to
add compost/mulch/manure etc in fairly large amounts to improve the
texture and fertilty. A tiller would be OK to turn this in or just
run the plow over it again.

David

Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day,

use raised beds, i'd suggest it won't matter a heap whether you have
concrete or packed earth.

see our site for ideas

On 8 May 2007 10:42:31 -0700, wrote:

I have an old cracked tennis court in my backyard. Came with the
house. I would love to turn it into a lawn, but I'm concerned it'll
turn into a huge pile of mud. Any ideas on how to turn a tennis court
into a low maintenance garden?

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 14-05-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 8, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I have an old cracked tennis court in my backyard. Came with the
house. I would love to turn it into a lawn, but I'm concerned it'll
turn into a huge pile of mud. Any ideas on how to turn a tennis court
into a low maintenance garden?

Read the article about raised gardens on pavement and roof tops at
www.raised-garden-bed.com
Johhnny

[IMG] code is On

A nice day at court(magistrates, not tennis) Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 47 21-08-2011 06:48 PM
OT Tennis Court maintenance Tim W United Kingdom 3 25-06-2009 09:49 PM
Dialaelia for Tennis Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 26-02-2008 10:55 PM
Ping Tennis Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchids 0 29-01-2008 12:44 AM
Snakes in the Garden - fly tennis Salty Thumb Gardening 2 12-09-2003 02:42 PM