Old 20-05-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garlic Mustard Invasive Weed

For those in the Northerly and Easterly areas of this Country, who
have shade, with disturbed soil, Garlic Mustard is a real threat to
your garden or woodlot. A good description of this plant is he
http://ipaw.org/invaders/garlic_mustard/gm.htm, offered by the
Invasive Plant Association of Wisconsin.
Once it starts, it is extremely difficult to control. It takes over an
area fast, smothering native plants. hedgerows, or garden beds, and it
takes years to eradicate.
The little 4 petaled white flowers look cute, and you think that,
good, I got a free plant here. Just beware.
Molly
Zone 5a
A very infrequent poster to Rec.gardens

Old 22-05-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Molly expounded:

For those in the Northerly and Easterly areas of this Country, who
have shade, with disturbed soil, Garlic Mustard is a real threat to
your garden or woodlot. A good description of this plant is he
http://ipaw.org/invaders/garlic_mustard/gm.htm, offered by the
Invasive Plant Association of Wisconsin.
Once it starts, it is extremely difficult to control. It takes over an
area fast, smothering native plants. hedgerows, or garden beds, and it
takes years to eradicate.
The little 4 petaled white flowers look cute, and you think that,
good, I got a free plant here. Just beware.
Molly
Zone 5a
A very infrequent poster to Rec.gardens

The way it reseeds is absolutely incredible. I've got a small
invasion going on in my side yard, they were behind a pile and I
didn't notice them. Thousands per square foot! They're tiny little
buggers, too, when they first get going. I'm going to keep pulling
and stop it from spreading, hopefully I'll be able to get it under
control. Wish me luck!

Oh, and then I can start on the damned bishop's weed my wonderful
neighbor planted in her yard - right next to my property
line....grrrrrrrr!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 22-05-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Molly expounded:

[...]

Break-out the card board.

- Bill

Old 22-05-2007, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Bill Rose expounded:

Break-out the card board.

Expand (not expound), please? )
Old 22-05-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Bill Rose expounded:

Break-out the card board.

Expand (not expound), please? )

Uh, what were we talking about? I think you had a massive weed
infestation and were trying to find a way to clear it without sweating
too much. Laying down cardboard will work as a barrier to the weeds
until they die from lack of sun light. I think it comes under the
heading of "lasagna" gardening. It looks like hell, if you don't put
compost on it, but it is effective.

That's all for now. Gotta' get some coffee, then I'll be back to my ol'
blathering self.

- Bill

Old 22-05-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Bill Rose expounded:

Uh, what were we talking about? I think you had a massive weed
infestation and were trying to find a way to clear it without sweating
too much. Laying down cardboard will work as a barrier to the weeds
until they die from lack of sun light. I think it comes under the
heading of "lasagna" gardening. It looks like hell, if you don't put
compost on it, but it is effective.

Ah, yes, I could do that, but it'd be difficult. These things are
growing in the woods around the woodpile. I'm just going to keep
pulling them (and tossing them in the trash, not composting them,
that's fer sher!) until I win. It'd doable. I have read, however,
that the seeds will continue to sprout every year for around five
years, so I'll have to be vigilant!

That's all for now. Gotta' get some coffee, then I'll be back to my ol'
blathering self.

Yes, do that. I'm munching on an oddly huge (about 1.5" in diameter)
asparagus sprout for lunch. Delish!
Old 22-05-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

I'm just going to keep
pulling them (and tossing them in the trash, not composting them,
that's fer sher!) until I win.

Hell hath no fury . . .

- Bill

Old 22-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 20 May 2007 11:46:47 -0700, Molly wrote:
For those in the Northerly and Easterly areas of this Country, who
have shade, with disturbed soil, Garlic Mustard is a real threat to

It's in the PNW now, too... a real threat to native plants.

Kay

Old 23-05-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

I like it, it's part of the bicyclist's spring flower treat in April
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w21.jpg

It thrives in Central Ohio, but it isn't everywhere, so the concern
is probably (like most) overwrought.

A sort of chronological weed appearance photo essay from April-May 2006
(in between Dobermans) is at http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/weed.html

Roadside weeds, it's all you ever need.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 23-05-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

I like it, it's part of the bicyclist's spring flower treat in April
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w21.jpg

It thrives in Central Ohio, but it isn't everywhere, so the concern
is probably (like most) overwrought.

A sort of chronological weed appearance photo essay from April-May 2006
(in between Dobermans) is at http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/weed.html

Roadside weeds, it's all you ever need.

Let me get this right. The garlic mustard is highly invasive and is only
in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Oregon, and thrives in central Ohio but, it
isn't everywhere. That's good to know.

- Bill

Old 23-05-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Ron Hardin expounded:

It thrives in Central Ohio, but it isn't everywhere, so the concern
is probably (like most) overwrought.

You obviously haven't seen this in full force. It can take over a
woodland in months. Maybe not in Ohio, but it's a problem everywhere
else.
Old 23-05-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 22, 6:12 pm, Ann wrote:
Ron Hardin expounded:

It thrives in Central Ohio, but it isn't everywhere, so the concern
is probably (like most) overwrought.

You obviously haven't seen this in full force. It can take over a
woodland in months. Maybe not in Ohio, but it's a problem everywhere
else.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Lest we forget, every state and region has a number of invasive,
noxious weeds that need to be attended to by every ecology-concerned
person. This garlic mustard looks like one of the worst, for sure,
because of its accelerating damage.

There is a list of invasive weeds officially published for every state
and region in the US and Canada, too. Although most of the damage
from these misplaced plants is done to agriculture, we all are
affected by higher costs of food or risks stemming from chemical
treatments to control these and other weeds.

In my area of southern California, the Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus
altissima) is threatening the hillsides and freeway embankments
throughout the area. This immigrant from the Orient can obscure the
cityscape and damage sidewalks and retaining walls, foundations, etc.
Yet most of my neighbors are oblivious to its imminent threat.

If you wish to get involved in helping to control invasive weeds in
your area, your univsersity extension can direct your volunteer hours
to needed cleanup projects. Many garden clubs are also involved in
neighborhood efforts, as well. Springtime is a good time to refresh
your knowledge of invasive weeds since every year a new threat may be
spreading to your area from a neighboring region. You can search for
'weed watchers needed' or 'garden clubs' in your favorite search
engine to look up volunteer opportunities in your area.

-----
At peace with weeds...