GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting Privet Hedges (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/158949-planting-privet-hedges.html)

Mike 22-05-2007 06:02 PM

Planting Privet Hedges

When planting a North Privet hedge how close is to close? I've read
they are generally planted 1 - 3 feet apart.

My hedge is going to be 3 feet tall and 1 - 2 feet wide. I want a
dense hedge so I was thinking about planting 6 inches apart. Is there
anything wrong with this?

The plants I've been buying are 1 - 3 feet tall rootings. Should I
cut then back so they are uniform is size? If so when should I cut
them back?

Manelli Family[_2_] 22-05-2007 11:47 PM

Planting Privet Hedges

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
When planting a North Privet hedge how close is to close? I've read
they are generally planted 1 - 3 feet apart.

My hedge is going to be 3 feet tall and 1 - 2 feet wide. I want a
dense hedge so I was thinking about planting 6 inches apart. Is there
anything wrong with this?

The plants I've been buying are 1 - 3 feet tall rootings. Should I
cut then back so they are uniform is size? If so when should I cut
them back?

We got a nice thick hedge by planting them 2 1/2' apart. Trim them all the
same height when you plant them. Keep them watered the first month or so if
rain fails.