Old 23-05-2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any ideas on screening out my messy neighbor?

Put on your thinking caps and review the pic below.

http://tinyurl.com/2her7v

How do you like the view from my dining room?

I asked my neighbor to clean up his mess. He said he would. That was
two years ago.

I called code compliance once. That made him mad. Hate to go thru
that again.

I hung a neighborhood clean up reminder on his door. He must have
overlooked it.

I don't have a truck to haul it away. Hate to pay someone every month
to come around again.

Only things left are murder and landscaping.

Any thoughts on some type of screen to block this off? A trellis with
some type of evergreen that would grow thick and fast and last thru
the winter?

It's limited space, about five feet, so I think a typical holly would
be way too big.

Zone 7, full sun.

Pokey.

Old 23-05-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

To be perfectly honest, with the amount of space you have, a picket
fence would be your best bet. If that is too expensive for you, the
box stores sell bamboo screens and those cost about 20 dollars for 16
feet, 6 feet tall. You'd still need to put in stakes.

You can call around for pricing on putting in a fence for the length
of the heaps of crap. It may not be as expensive as you think and
you'll gain privacy and peace of mind.

Old 23-05-2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Uh,
Isn't most of that stuff fencing? Volunteer to help put it back up!

Pokey wrote in article
.com...

Old 23-05-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-05-22 21:15:23 -0400, "betsyb" said:

You don't seem to be winning this war. You mentioned this before. May I
suggest you hang a curtain and forget it.

Some people just have NO pride. I think most of us have similar problems....

You're not alone....

Old 23-05-2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pokey wrote:
[...]

Is you neighbor really out of compliance with something? Do you share a
housing situation in which you can mandate how another property owner
keeps his/her property? Do you have license to snottily insist via
"neighborhood clean up reminders" that you expect action pronto? Do you
have right of way to clean it up yourself? Or are you just being one of
those jackasses?

It's a shitty view to start with, and it'll be shitty cleaned up. It's
your misfortune, not your neighbor's. Hang some pretty curtains and be
done with it.
Old 23-05-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 May 2007 19:53:24 -0600, Pennyaline
wrote:

Is you neighbor really out of compliance with something? Do you share a
housing situation in which you can mandate how another property owner
keeps his/her property? Do you have license to snottily insist via
"neighborhood clean up reminders" that you expect action pronto? Do you
have right of way to clean it up yourself? Or are you just being one of
those jackasses?

It's a shitty view to start with, and it'll be shitty cleaned up. It's
your misfortune, not your neighbor's. Hang some pretty curtains and be
done with it.

What the hell is wrong with you? Gee wiz, can't someone come and just
bitch about something without people like you and the other snot reply
trying to belittle the person. Obviously this neighbor is an asshole.
Obviously, the person posting has to live next to the asshole. I just
put up a fence and planted evergreens and vines to grow on the eight
foot tall fence. It takes time to fill in, but there is no room for
any of that in the photo provided.

If you can't be helpful, why not shut the yap?
Old 23-05-2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

From your reply, cut and paste: Gee wiz, can't someone come and just
bitch about something...

It's for the same reason anyone else can come and just bitch. Yap
shutting cannot be legislated. Welcome to newsgroups. We all live next
door to assholes here. We all have to deal with it. So deal with it.
Hang curtains and stop trying to rule the world.

Old 23-05-2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:49:17 -0700, Pokey wrote:

[...]

A trellis with
jasmine, http://picasaweb.google.com/jfoote10...17148790388706
Old 23-05-2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Stained glass window.

Old 23-05-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Put up a fence or move...

Yes, I've got a neighbor I'd rather not look at his yard, but I had a lot of
room and waited while the trees got taller.

Old 23-05-2007, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pokey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Put on your thinking caps and review the pic below.

http://tinyurl.com/2her7v

How do you like the view from my dining room?

Put up one eight foot section of privacy fencing in a very carefully chosen
spot and plant to either side and a little in front of it. Make a small
vignette in whatever style you find pleasing- maybe a bench or water
feature. Life is too short to look at crap outside your window, and trying
to get them to care seems futile.

--
Toni
Just moved to 6b Kentucky

Old 23-05-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:44:52 -0600, Pennyaline
wrote:

From your reply, cut and paste: Gee wiz, can't someone come and just
bitch about something...

Yes, I said this above.

It's for the same reason anyone else can come and just bitch. Yap
shutting cannot be legislated. Welcome to newsgroups. We all live next
door to assholes here. We all have to deal with it. So deal with it.
Hang curtains and stop trying to rule the world.

No, I didn't say this. Bitch, bitch, bitch.
Old 23-05-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:44:52 -0600, Pennyaline
wrote:

From your reply, cut and paste: Gee wiz, can't someone come and just
bitch about something...

Yes, I said this above.

It's for the same reason anyone else can come and just bitch. Yap
shutting cannot be legislated. Welcome to newsgroups. We all live next
door to assholes here. We all have to deal with it. So deal with it.
Hang curtains and stop trying to rule the world.

No, I didn't say this. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

LOL! Reading *is* fundamental!
Old 23-05-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pokey wrote:

Any thoughts on some type of screen to block this off? A trellis with
some type of evergreen that would grow thick and fast and last thru
the winter?

It's limited space, about five feet, so I think a typical holly would
be way too big.

Stick some posts in the ground, nail some galvanized mesh to it, and
plant confederate jasmin. Water the jasmin and stand back. In a couple
of years that stuff will be so intertwined with his junk HE won't be
able to find it.

(I made the mistake of planting that stuff near my old house. It damn
near peeled the vinyl siding off. Looks pretty, smells great, but damn
is it agressive.)