GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help! Need insect ID on pines and hemlocks. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/159206-help-need-insect-id-pines-hemlocks.html)

ctlady 27-05-2007 03:35 PM

Help! Need insect ID on pines and hemlocks.

In the past I've had what I thought were pine saw flies attacking my
mugho pine and I've controlled them with a systemic spray. I never
did see the adult insect, just the masses of larvae eating the pine
needles. I have hemlocks and always checked for the wooly adelgid but
never found the cottony masses. Today, I found spittle on my hemlocks
and also on the pine. The bug inside was beetle like, aboutt 3/16"
long, black at the head, brown in the middle and light colored at the
tail. I've never had any kind of bug on the hemlocks before; they are
about 20 years old, as is the mugho pine.

Can anyone identify this bug for me?

ctlady

beecrofter 27-05-2007 03:58 PM

On May 27, 10:35 am, ctlady wrote:
In the past I've had what I thought were pine saw flies attacking my
mugho pine and I've controlled them with a systemic spray. I never
did see the adult insect, just the masses of larvae eating the pine
needles. I have hemlocks and always checked for the wooly adelgid but
never found the cottony masses. Today, I found spittle on my hemlocks
and also on the pine. The bug inside was beetle like, aboutt 3/16"
long, black at the head, brown in the middle and light colored at the
tail. I've never had any kind of bug on the hemlocks before; they are
about 20 years old, as is the mugho pine.

Can anyone identify this bug for me?

ctlady

Try looking up "pine spittlebug"
Go easy on the pesticides as you kill everything which would eat the
target pest as well.

ctlady 27-05-2007 05:05 PM

Help! Need insect ID on pines and hemlocks.

Good advice, thank you~~