GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Geranium (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/159335-geranium.html)

Yegi 29-05-2007 08:43 PM

Geranium

Hi,
My geraniums are growing very tall. Is there a reason?
Please let me know.

Thanks

FragileWarrior 29-05-2007 10:17 PM

Geranium

"Yegi" wrote in news:yo%6i.67852$WI6.581383
@wagner.videotron.net:

Hi,
My geraniums are growing very tall. Is there a reason?
Please let me know.

Thanks

Where are you?
What zone?
Where are the geraniums planted? Garden? Pot? Window box? Dung heap?
What sort of soil?
What kind of light?
Do you fertilize? With what? How often?
What type of geraniums are they?
And just for good measu Where did you buy them?

Yegi 31-05-2007 12:11 AM

Geranium

I live in zone 5. I bought them from walmart but I keep them indoor potted,
near a window that gets sunlight in the morning. I fertilize them with
15-30-15 every 2 weeks. They give lots of flowers but they grow very tall I
don't know which kind they are but they are common kind sold in wal mart in
red and pink color. carlet Rosebud

FragileWarrior 31-05-2007 12:40 AM

Geranium

"Yegi" wrote in
:

I live in zone 5. I bought them from walmart but I keep them indoor
potted, near a window that gets sunlight in the morning. I fertilize
them with 15-30-15 every 2 weeks. They give lots of flowers but they
grow very tall I don't know which kind they are but they are common
kind sold in wal mart in red and pink color. carlet Rosebud

I'm betting they aren't so much tall as "leggy" -- what plants get when
they don't get enough light. Morning sunlight is about half as much light
as geraniums want/need. Are they very lush with full, deep green leaves or
are they sort of spindly with a lot of stalk and lots of space between sort
of smallish leaves?

I'm not positive but I think you might be over-fertilizing them, too --
especially if you did that all winter long. You might consider moving them
outside for the summer. (In small stages so they get used to real
sunlight. Ask about "hardening off" if you don't know how to do it.)
Geraniums aren't really meant to be an eternal indoor plant although I
certainly know that some folks make them one quite successfully.