Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default eggshells

Hey everybody,

dummie me wanting help again.
I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by crushing them
up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly what for though -
something about nutrients. can anyone remind me again about it? does it
really help?

Thanks,
Rae

Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

Hey everybody,

dummie me wanting help again.
I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by crushing
them up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly what for
though - something about nutrients. can anyone remind me again about
it? does it really help?

Thanks,
Rae

You can soak them in water (which is sort of stinky to do) or you can take
the short route and put them on the surface of the plants or in the potting
mix. Calcium is the perk received from eggshells.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/nyerges44.html (scroll down)
Old 01-06-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

Hey everybody,

dummie me wanting help again.
I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by crushing
them up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly what for
though - something about nutrients. can anyone remind me again about
it? does it really help?

Thanks,
Rae

"FragileWarrior" wrote
You can soak them in water (which is sort of stinky to do) or you can take
the short route and put them on the surface of the plants or in the
potting
mix. Calcium is the perk received from eggshells.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/nyerges44.html (scroll down)

Egg shells are very slow to break down, even in the compost pile. Someone
suggested putting them in the microwave for 30 seconds. I tried it, and
that makes them very brittle so they can be crushed and spread around very
easily.

helco

Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 1, 11:10 am, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:
Hey everybody,

dummie me wanting help again.
I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by crushing them
up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly what for though -
something about nutrients. can anyone remind me again about it? does it
really help?

Thanks,
Rae

If you leave them a little coarse when you crush them, the sharp edges
will serve to kill / deter slugs and snails. Then you get the
benefits of the nutrients and the deterrent!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:
Hey everybody,

dummie me wanting help again.
I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by
crushing them up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly
what for though - something about nutrients. can anyone remind me
again about it? does it really help?

Thanks,
Rae

If you leave them a little coarse when you crush them, the sharp edges
will serve to kill / deter slugs and snails. Then you get the
benefits of the nutrients and the deterrent!

Wow, I never thought of that. Imagine all those slugs slithering home with
eggshell shards stuck in their slime. OUCH.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Egg shells placed under the surface of the soil around your tomatoes, and
other plants bothered by nematodes, will draw an insect (I don't know which
one) to eat the membrane in the egg shells. Once they get there they find
that they like nematode eggs better and will clean them out. I read that in
one of my tomato books, but don't remember which one.

Dwayne

Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by crushing them
up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly what for though -
something about nutrients. can anyone remind me again about it? does it
really help?

Fair source of calcium. Easy way outdoors, imho, is to
make a shallow trench between rows and toss in your eggshells, vegetable
scraps from the kitchen, etc, and cover with a little soil.
Continue until the trench is filled back in, then dig another.

Rinse the eggshells if you've got raccoons g

Kay

Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:16:47 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

Egg shells placed under the surface of the soil around your tomatoes, and
other plants bothered by nematodes, will draw an insect (I don't know which
one) to eat the membrane in the egg shells. Once they get there they find
that they like nematode eggs better and will clean them out. I read that in
one of my tomato books, but don't remember which one.

Dwayne

What is your source for this statement?

The best way to provide calcium to plants via eggshells is to let them
dry completely in the sun and if you have a morar and pestal grind
them into powder. You can also put them in a plastic bag and roll
them with a rolling pin till they are powder.

A much more effective way to provide Ca to soil is in the form of
powderd milk. It's very fast.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

This is kind of funny. Our compost pile looked like something from
Jurassic park, and big sheets of newspaper, and pieces of cardboard.
My wife is enthusiastic and puts everything that might compost in the
pile. Then I read here, that you were suppose to crush the egg
shells. Oh how gleefull I was to present that tidbit to her.

The tip about the microwave is great too.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
Hey everybody,

dummie me wanting help again.
I remember something about being able to recycle eggshells by crushing
them up and putting them to plants. can't remember exactly what for
though - something about nutrients. can anyone remind me again about it?
does it really help?

Thanks,
Rae

Only significant use I've seen for eggshells is for feeding chicken hens.
Prevents softshell. No, not a hoax.
Dave

Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:38:43 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:16:47 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

Egg shells placed under the surface of the soil around your tomatoes, and
other plants bothered by nematodes, will draw an insect (I don't know which
one) to eat the membrane in the egg shells. Once they get there they find
that they like nematode eggs better and will clean them out. I read that in
one of my tomato books, but don't remember which one.

Dwayne

What is your source for this statement?

The best way to provide calcium to plants via eggshells is to let them
dry completely in the sun and if you have a morar and pestal grind
them into powder. You can also put them in a plastic bag and roll
them with a rolling pin till they are powder.

A much more effective way to provide Ca to soil is in the form of
powderd milk. It's very fast.

How much and should we till it in?

Any downside?

TIA
Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote

Only significant use I've seen for eggshells is for feeding chicken hens.
Prevents softshell. No, not a hoax.

Agreed. Years ago my mother started keeping chickens and at first the eggs
just wouldn't harden, break under the weight of the hen, or dry in all sorts
of alien shapes.

A local egg farm finally gave her the answer. She'd break up the shells
(after use) a bit, rinse well in water, and let dry. Into a low oven for
maybe ten minutes and the shells would break up nicely by hand crushing to
be added to the chicken feed. It didn't take long at all until all the hens
were laying proper eggs.

OT, but somewhat related:
A friend of mine was surprised to find that her MIL, who'd been born and
raised in Mexico to missionary parents born and educated in the US, had been
using the above technique for years to add to hamburger dishes. Apparently
MIL's parents knew quite a lot about the importance of such things, but
couldn't buy vitamins and such in remote Mexico. Through their church, they
developed a lot of interesting ways to add the extras to their family's
food, and in the process taught through example nutrition techniques to
their constituents. Cool.

~~ Shelly ~~

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"jangchub" wrote in message

A much more effective way to provide Ca to soil is in the form of
powderd milk. It's very fast.

Why bother? Powdered milk would be more expensive weight for weight than
just using dolomite or lime. And if you have a wood burning fire then the
ash from the fire also provides calcium.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. Have you priced powdered milk lately??
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 07:03:26 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:
=

Only significant use I've seen for eggshells is for feeding chicken hens.
Prevents softshell. No, not a hoax.
Dave

Actually, I put them in the blender and use them to make my parrot a
special birdie bread. She hasn't layed eggs, but in the event she
does it depletes their calcium a great deal. Better safe than sorry
and she needs the grit anyway.

[IMG] code is On

compost and eggshells Fvert Edible Gardening 4 07-02-2012 04:15 PM
Eggshells in Garden/What about Tums for Blossom End Rot? GarlandGrower Edible Gardening 7 21-07-2005 05:07 AM
eggshells Setzler Edible Gardening 5 10-05-2003 07:44 AM
use eggshells for calcium additive or as substrate? Tyggergirl Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:24 AM