Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default 4 Steps for Perfect Soil

It's always well known that: the key to great soil is organic.

What does organic matter consist of? A little of everything that's
somewhat moldy (like old leaves), somewhat moist (think used coffee
grinds) and somewhat live (you have to love those banana peels). Once
you become a fan of using organic matter, you may even want to invest
in a compost bin.

A compost pail (a little more compact than a bin) is also a great
place to put those clippings of organic matter that you save, and
helps the organic matter to formulate as well. Still, with or without
composting, organic matter is one of the most useful ingredients of
healthy soil.

In fact, it looks impossible that anyone complains about having too
much organic matter. So, keeping that in mind, here's recipe for a
crumbly, moist soil with extra tips and information thrown in for good
luck.

Recipe for Crumbly, Moist Soil

One part top soil
One part organic matter
One part peat moss
A handful of sand

Blend together in a wheelbarrow or on the ground using either a
pitchfork or your hands. Lay it on top of already existing soil at
least four inches deep. Work into the soil vigorously with a pitchfork
or rototill

http://cactuslover.blogspot.com/ Fact and Information about cactus &
succulent and another planting

http://www.omygarden.net O My Garden Place to learn more gardening and
planting for lovely garden

http://www.worldofflower.net Every thing about all flowers

http://www.womentobeauty.com Tips & info cool women should know.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 5, 12:47 pm, O My Garden wrote:

....snip....

Recipe for Crumbly, Moist Soil

One part top soil
One part organic matter
One part peat moss
A handful of sand

So what is "topsoil" ? Whatever you have lying around? Something you
buy at a garden shop at great expense? How come the rest of the
recipe does not vary according to the nature of this topsoil or does
one size fit all, anywhere in the world?

And 25% peat moss. What is the price of peat moss? Why would you use
such an expensive ingredient regardless of what you were going to grow
or the nature of your natural soil, or the availability of
alternatives?

And a handful of sand. Is this per bucket, per ton, per acre or
what? It would make a difference. If you are starting from very
sandy soil (say you are near a beach or the parent rock of your
natural soil is sandstone) the problem is that it won't hold water or
nutrients very well so why are you adding more sand?

Don't you just love generalised advice given in the solemn tones of a
panacea that actually suits very few situations.

David

Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 5, 2:29 am, "
wrote:
[...]

I just want to clarify your question

a. This's recipe is for a bucket or pail. It mentioned the above
message.
b. Adding a handful of sand will help the soil to be crumble.
c. Top soil means a part of soil you have in the garden. Whatever
soil you have but I mentioned "top soil" because it is the best part
of the soil.
d. Peat moss : it's the normal ingredient that you can find generally
in the garden.

Most of ingredients are generally found in garden also I don't think
you have to buy anything more. I live in the small room and don't
have a big garden. But I never buy a commercial soil for my plants
because I look for the helpful ingredient in my kitchen and things
around me.

This is a soil recipe for the general plant also you should think and
adapt more according to your condition. Even the cooking recipes are
always adapted according to each culture and condition.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 5, 2:29 am, "
wrote:
[...]

In fact, being specific about the soil content is rather stupid to say
the least. Generalizations in this case works fine. David don't be so
darned ridged.
Johnny

Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Top posting, sorry. The only thing I'd ever add to soil to improve it
is finished compost from a compost yard and I'd buy it by the yard and
have it delievered. Peat moss is dead matter, has no nutritive value
at all and is completely unnecessary. Top soil can be anything. I
would not recommend buying it in bags. What does top soil mean? Buyer
beware. If you add enough compost there is no need for sand.

For the Oirginal poster:

What type of soil do you have, what are you planting?

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:27:35 -0000, O My Garden

Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 9, 8:48 am, jangchub wrote:
Top posting, sorry. The only thing I'd ever add to soil to improve it
is finished compost from a compost yard and I'd buy it by the yard and
have it delievered. Peat moss is dead matter, has no nutritive value
at all and is completely unnecessary. Top soil can be anything. I
would not recommend buying it in bags. What does top soil mean? Buyer
beware. If you add enough compost there is no need for sand.

For the Oirginal poster:

What type of soil do you have, what are you planting?

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:27:35 -0000, O My Garden

wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:29 am, "
wrote:
[...]

always adapted according to each culture and condition.- Hide quoted text -

For me, top soil is soil that is on the top on earth. It is full of
the organic and good for plant.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"O My Garden" wrote in message

d. Peat moss : it's the normal ingredient that you can find generally
in the garden.

Peat moss is not something one would generally find in any garden I have
ever known. It can be bought and thus brought into the garden but it is not
something that I would think of as being 'generally in the garden'.

In fact all modern garden writers in my country would strongly advice
against using it as it has to be imported and it is effectively mined in
many foreign countries and the impact of this mining often causes ecolgical
problems. Here, the advice is to use coconut fibre which is almost as good
as peat moss but as it is a byproduct of coconut cropping it is value adding
to that crop.

Most of ingredients are generally found in garden also I don't think
you have to buy anything more.

It would be a rare garden where both sand and peat moss did not have to be
bought in.

I live in the small room and don't
have a big garden. But I never buy a commercial soil for my plants
because I look for the helpful ingredient in my kitchen and things
around me.

This is a soil recipe for the general plant also you should think and
adapt more according to your condition. Even the cooking recipes are
always adapted according to each culture and condition.

Part of my problem is trying to understand what your post is about. Are you
trying to describe what you do to build up soil in a garden bed or how to
make a potting mix?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 2:29 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Geeze David, have you been lying on a cattle grid to get all those ridges?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:37:04 -0700, O My Garden
wrote:

For me, top soil is soil that is on the top on earth. It is full of
the organic and good for plant.

Maybe. However, they can put anything in a bag labeled "top soil" and
are not regulated at all. Not in Texas, the killing state. Superior
to top soil is compost...and you face the same problem of "what is
compost" and what went into a pre-package of it. Also, not regulated.