GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   weed membrane is it ok to use plastic sheet instead (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/159719-weed-membrane-ok-use-plastic-sheet-instead.html)

gavj 07-06-2007 07:54 PM

weed membrane is it ok to use plastic sheet instead

hi all, a newbie here.

just a quick question about weed membrane.

i have some clear plastic sheet and wondered if it would be ok to use that instead of weed membrane.

thanks gav

gavj 08-06-2007 08:17 AM

just a bit more info, i plan to cover the membrane with pebbles.

gavj 08-06-2007 08:04 PM

can anyone help?

gavj 10-06-2007 07:24 AM

please anyone?

moley 11-06-2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavj (Post 719265)
hi all, a newbie here.

just a quick question about weed membrane.

i have some clear plastic sheet and wondered if it would be ok to use that instead of weed membrane.

thanks gav

Hi Gav - You may find that the plastic sheet breaks down quickly, becoming brittle, split & holey and allowing the weeds to come through even though you`re using pebbles. It all depends on the plastic and how degradable it is.
Sorry I can`t be of more help. Good luck!

moley

gavj 11-06-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moley (Post 720118)
Hi Gav - You may find that the plastic sheet breaks down quickly, becoming brittle, split & holey and allowing the weeds to come through even though you`re using pebbles. It all depends on the plastic and how degradable it is.
Sorry I can`t be of more help. Good luck!

moley

hi moley, thanks for the tip. i think i had better stick with using the correct membrane for the job

cheers gav