Old 21-06-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Anyone tried "No Mow" or "Eco-Lawn" grass seed, for low maintenance lawn?

I'm not good about watering my lawn during the dry months here in Minnesota,
so every July parts of my lawn die, I overseed again in the fall, and it
does the same thing the next summer.

I've been reading up on the best grasses for northern climates that don't
require much water, but are still hardy and look good. Seems the two best
choices for an ultra low maintenance lawn would be:

* Eco-Lawn:
http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/Mercha...egory_Code =E
(also the owner of this company wrote as interesting article about fescue
lawns at http://lesslawn.com/articles/article1058.html )

* No Mow seed mix:
http://prairienursery.com/store/inde...index&cPath=11

Looks like they're both dwarf fine fescue mixes, which have roots over 9"
tall allowing them to better withstand droughts, and it seems the key with
these seed mixes is that they use "creeping" fescues to get rid of the usual
patchy look of regular fescues that are used in traditional seed mixes.

However, these products sound too good to be true. Has anyone tried these or
similar "low maintenance lawn" grass mixes, and how well do they work? Are
these grasses more susceptible to more diseases? Do they have problems the
manufacturers aren't telling us about? Or are these seed mixes really as
great as advertised?

[IMG] code is On

Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 04:10 AM
Low mow, now dead lawn! austinartistdotnet Texas 10 31-07-2006 08:23 PM
Low maintenance planted tank ... 48" bulbs x2 or x3 over 55G? Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 07-03-2006 04:43 AM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 01:05 PM
Why mow bermuda so low? Greg Gardening 3 01-07-2003 07:20 PM