Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default rototilling rocky soil

On 6/29/2018 5:19 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:44:04 GMT, Granny
m wrote:

replying to Charlie, Granny wrote:
Thank you! I had the same question and your answer was well written and very
helpful!

No rototiller can handle soil with many large rocks. You'll need to
dig them out by hand with a shovel or simply mark off the area you
want to plant and build a frame of rail road ties at least a foot high
and have good top soil brought in to fill it, that's what I did for my
vegetable garden. Often it's better not to disturb the base soil
regardless of rocks as it makes for good drainage. I used real RR
ties, used ones were $8 each. To keep them from shifting I
drilled three holes in each and used 3' sections of rebar to stake
them in place. I also made up some aluminum fish plates to splice the
RR tie ends and corners. Every two years I till in a couple of yards
of composted mushroom growing mix, for that I use a Mantis tiller, so
easy to control even an eight year old child can use it. Don't let
the small size of a Mantis tiller fool you, it works like a beast
without straining your body. Originally I bought an 8 horsepower
Simplicity tiller, wore me out, after an hour I needed a rest. I sold
it and bought the Mantis, everyone who gardens needs one. Here I
added an addition. By reversing the tines on the Mantis it will puree
grass including the roots.
https://postimg.cc/image/xcna8cwv5/

Is that where your brother ass ****ed you, Shelly?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to penmart01, Sponk wrote:
I'd be worried about all the tar and oil, or whatever is used to treat
railroad ties, if I were using them to frame a vegetable garden. Not so much
a concern for just flowers or ornamentals.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...oil-65146-.htm

Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sponk m writes:

replying to penmart01, Sponk wrote:
I'd be worried about all the tar and oil, or whatever is used to treat
railroad ties, if I were using them to frame a vegetable garden. Not so much
a concern for just flowers or ornamentals.

I believe railroad ties were preserved with Creosote.
Not something you want to ingest at all.

--
Dan Espen

[IMG] code is On

hot, sunny, slopey, rocky soil Latosha Washington Texas 6 11-04-2006 01:05 PM
new gardener, rocky soil mbwest United Kingdom 24 20-06-2005 08:15 PM
need rototilling help in RI MJ Gardening 2 30-05-2003 05:09 PM
Rototilling Service gk North Carolina 1 14-05-2003 08:20 PM
geraniums in rocky soil Jessica Gardening 4 17-04-2003 06:44 PM