Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How well do bat houses work?

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message

You obviously live in a place where colonial bats do live and I envy
you. It is possible to coax them out and into a new bathouse. If
you
have that many, it will be a serious project and I suggest that you
contact Bat Conservation International ( Google BCI) for help.

I went to their website, and I couldn't identify our bats since I
didn't get
a close look at them, and couldn't find any plans for bat houses(we
have a
blueprint, but I read on BCI's site that some aren't reliable). So I
am
going to look again today and send an email.

Here is a bat house plan from BCI.
http://www.batcon.org/pdfs/SingleChamberBHPlans.pdf

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 23-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Morgan View Post
Because I had been hearing noise in the 'green' room that was an add-on to
this place(mobile home) and I thought it was rats/mice(the walls on the
inside, when it was added on, they put insulation in, but nothing covering
it, and we've got stuff to fix that, but it's a 2person job, and mom's been
gone most of last few months staying in town), but tonight mom and I just
happened to be outside next to that room, and I heard the noises again, and
mentioned it to mom, and by the time we started counting all the bats that
flew out, we got to 215/216 before they stopped coming out and the noise
stopped as well. I was just...I couldn't believe it. I figure 2 or 3 dozen
at least flew out before we started counting, so that's probably at least
250 bats living in the walls. And I want them outside...I don't mind them
living on the property, just in their own houses, not OURS!
I have studied bats, and I love them. I feel very sorry for them though, and it is highly unfortunate that they are currently decreasing in numbers.

I'm pleased that you're considering doing something about it though, I have purchased a couple of bat boxes from the site batboxes.co.uk and I have had them a couple of years and noticed signs of bats living there.

Good luck, and learn from my experience that if you don't notice any signs of bats within a few years, move your bat box because its probably down to location.
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 27-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered User

haha well my mom disagrees, she thinks they were only at best 7inches from
wingtip to wingtip, .......whatever, they really weren't big...they came out a
tiny slit in the wall on the outside of the house
Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered User

They work really well! I brought one from www.batboxes.co.uk.. It has lasted ages. Providing you know how to properly check for signs of bats you can tell if you have bat residents within a few years.. And usually you would.
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers

[IMG] code is On

Bat Houses Scott Hildenbrand Gardening 9 23-11-2010 05:20 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 01:23 AM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 0 09-01-2004 02:12 PM
Bat houses ( was Carry purse wanted at gun show in Denver Melissa Gardening 0 10-11-2003 04:32 AM
BAT-HOUSES WARRENRN1 Gardening 14 31-07-2003 06:22 AM