Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Second planting of peas

I live in Pittsburgh PA, and was wondering when would be a good time
to plant a second crop of snow peas. I have tried in the past, and it
seems as if I did not have good germination. July's normal temperature
is usually in the lower 80s, but we can have days in the 90s also.
Does higher temperatures affect the germination rate?

Thanks

Tom

Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in Pittsburgh PA, and was wondering when would be a good time
to plant a second crop of snow peas. I have tried in the past, and it
seems as if I did not have good germination. July's normal temperature
is usually in the lower 80s, but we can have days in the 90s also.
Does higher temperatures affect the germination rate?

Thanks

Tom

I'm in Rochester NY, which is theoretically one planting zone warmer than
Pittsburgh, and I plant the late crop in mid-August. You should plant yours
about two weeks earlier.

I've never noticed that the germination rate is affected, but no two gardens
are alike, even in the same neighborhood. If you're concerned, get yourself
a roll of dark colored window screen and make a tunnel over the planting
row, in an inverted U shape. This will provide some shade. Remove it when
the plants get big enough that the tunnel gets in the way.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 3, 1:34 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I live in Pittsburgh PA, and was wondering when would be a good time
to plant a second crop of snow peas. I have tried in the past, and it
seems as if I did not have good germination. July's normal temperature
is usually in the lower 80s, but we can have days in the 90s also.
Does higher temperatures affect the germination rate?

I had my very first garden in Rochester. I was a student at RIT, and
the school plowed an area near the married student apartments so
students could plant gardens. It was the best garden I ever had. The
summer was dry, and I was too cheap to buy a hose, so I carried
buckets of water to my garden. Having arrived in Rochester in December
from California, it was hard for me to believe that Rochester had any
color other than white. But once spring had sprung, it was fun to see
all the people heading to the garden center for their seeds, and
things.

Tom

Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pennyaline" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 1:34 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

sniffle! You guys are making me homesick.

give my regards to Corn Hill

Corn Hill has been totally bulldozed to make room for Paychex Park, a field
hockey stadium. And, the police search homes regularly to make sure everyone
has a package of the worst hot dogs in the universe, Zweigles. I keep a
package frozen to satisfy the storm troopers, but it'll never be opened.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Corn Hill has been totally bulldozed to make room for Paychex Park, a field
hockey stadium. And, the police search homes regularly to make sure everyone
has a package of the worst hot dogs in the universe, Zweigles. I keep a
package frozen to satisfy the storm troopers, but it'll never be opened.

Red hots or white hots? And damnation, they coulda flattened Mapleton
and earned the admiration of everybody!

it could have been Xerox... it could've been Xerox!!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Corn Hill has been totally bulldozed to make room for Paychex Park, a
field hockey stadium. And, the police search homes regularly to make sure
everyone has a package of the worst hot dogs in the universe, Zweigles. I
keep a package frozen to satisfy the storm troopers, but it'll never be
opened.

Red hots or white hots? And damnation, they coulda flattened Mapleton and
earned the admiration of everybody!

I'm actually getting nauseous thinking about Zweigles.

[IMG] code is On

Second Planting mj North Carolina 3 18-08-2011 05:19 PM
is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
Planting Ivy on a second floor balcony! JayDee Gardening 9 21-11-2007 02:17 AM
Snow Peas Planting Question ??? Joanne Edible Gardening 3 29-06-2003 07:32 AM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM