Old 04-07-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

Default Motion-activated deer repellants

I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/

Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/

Thanks for any input,
Dee
Old 04-07-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dee wrote:
I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/

Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/

Thanks for any input,
Dee

Have you tried a motion-activated water sprinkler? They make quite a
ruckus and spray a stream of water.

Bob
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 4, 10:52?am, zxcvbob wrote:
Dee wrote:
I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/

Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/

Thanks for any input,
Dee

Have you tried a motion-activated water sprinkler? They make quite a
ruckus and spray a stream of water.

The OP already mentioned the motion-activated sprinkler (Scarecrow).

The problem with sprinklers is that a pressurized water source is
needed nearby... for many situations that is impractical. Also those
things are very expensive and for most instances multiple units are
necessary. But the biggest downfall is they don't work in freezing
conditions and during winter is when deer do the most damage.

I've tried everything (liquid repellants are expensive, they're a
waste of money, and effort), nothing works like a fence. All my
flower beds, perennial gardens, vegetable garden, and small trees are
fenced. Wire fencing is inexpensive, inconspicuous, very long
lasting, easily installed and relocated as needed, and no special
tools or expertise is required... and there's no maintenance. I use
galvanized turkey wire with driven steel posts... for young trees
chicken wire is plenty adequate. I've found that a 4' height is
enough for relatively small areas such as foundation plantings (deer
won't jump into small enclosed spaces). For larger areas such as
vegetable gardens a 5' height works fine. Since using this type of
fencing for the past four years I've had not even one instance of deer
entering a fenced area.

Fencing a small tree (sycamore), leave space at bottom for mowing/
weeding: http://i17.tinypic.com/52vhdtg.jpg

With foundation plantings is simple enough to make one section
removable for access: http://i18.tinypic.com/4mb4htk.jpg

Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years
past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/

Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/

Thanks for any input,
Dee

I personally would NOT recommend the sonic devices, they didn't do squat for
my issues - my issues were stray cats. I opted for the sonic devices over
the scarecrow for fear of dowsing my neighbor's kids. If you can have a
ready source of water and aren't worried about hitting people walking by I'd
go for the Scarecrow.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dee wrote:
[...]

Somehow I missed that. I read "a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or the Scarecrow?"

I have a Scarecrow, and it works great against rabbits. The deer seldom
make it this far into town, and when they do that have to cross a lot of
fences to get to my place.

[...]

I need to make chicken wire cages around the bases of some of my small
trees and bushes this fall. The rabbits or squirrels chewed a few down
to the ground last winter. Luckily they came back, but I lost a year of
growth.

Bob

Old 04-07-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote:
"Dee" wrote:

I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years
past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/

Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/

Thanks for any input,

If you can have a
ready source of water and aren't worried about hitting people walking by I'd
go for the Scarecrow

Were people walking by she'd not have a deer problem.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

the "scarecrow" does work for a while. but I would get the green 4'
fencing with wider spaces and lay that down around the beds (easy for
people to walk over) even grass grows thru it.
deer dont like to walk on things that come up around their feet, but
if they do and the water cannon goes off, then the startled response
will be enforced by the fence "grabbing" at their feet.

my MIL lived on the edge of a preserve and the only thing that worked
was 10' high electric fences to keep the deer out and chicken wire
fencing around her gardens, an actual chicken wire cage for
blueberries and raspberries. wildlife is hell for small gardeners
unless you have a pack of wolves in your back yard. Ingrid

Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Eigenvector" wrote:
"Dee" wrote:

[...]

That doesn't necessarily follow, but I just offered a suggestion you don't
have to like it.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:45:15 +0000, Dee wrote:

I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/

Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/

Thanks for any input,
Dee

I've heard of "Deer Scram," bars of Irish Spring, fox/human urine but
doubt the effectiveness of these. I use an electric fence, plant
deer-resistant flowers, and use cages and netting.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

A neighbor who builds industrial controls had a deer problem. He
connected up some sensors that triggered air horn blasts. He has not
problems any more. It only to a short time for the deer to catch on. It
also works for geese, and small animals. He has an extensive network of
sensors.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stephen Henning wrote:

A neighbor who builds industrial controls had a deer problem. He
connected up some sensors that triggered air horn blasts.
He has not problems any more.

No neighbors either. LOL

Old 07-07-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article om,
Sheldon wrote:

Stephen Henning wrote:

A neighbor who builds industrial controls had a deer problem. He
connected up some sensors that triggered air horn blasts.
He has not problems any more.

No neighbors either. LOL

He has neighbors and lives on a hill over a valley near a church. It
works so well that it doesn't have to work very often. He uses very
short bursts that scare animals and geese.

A guy in NJ used blank shot gun shells to protect his orchard from
birds. That did bring the community down on him. It wasn't against the
law when he did it, but it was very soon.