Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice needed: Thai chili plants and their peppers stopped growing

Hi. I'm having a very odd experience with Thai bird chili plants I'm
growing right now.

I've successfully grown them in the past in the ground; this is the first
time I've tried growing them in containers. The plants look great -- very
healthy. But they've stopped growing entirely, like they've hit some
kind of wall; the ones I've grown in the ground in the past never did that.
Well, OK, maybe that's because they're producing a lot of peppers -- many
more than did the previous plants I've grown -- and since I've let them
go the plant is putting all its efforts into growing peppers. But the
other thing that's odd (and the reason why I've let the peppers just grow)
is that the peppers themselves have stopped growing. They're 1/3 the
length, and slightly fatter, than the Thai chilis I've grown in the past.
It's as if the plant went into suspended animation, with nothing --
including the peppers themselves -- growing beyond a certain point.

I would almost think I've got the wrong plants except I bought started
plants at two different places, one of which I've bought them from in past
years, and they're both the same.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks.

-c
Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Chris Metzler" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Although lack of nutrients *could* be the issue, I'd be more inclined to
blame the fact that they're growing in containers. The soil temperature is
the same as the air temperature. Many plants don't do well that way.
Although it's not a great solution in all cases, shading the pots may help.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Chris Metzler wrote:

[...]

In my garden, the corn and the peppers are the most sensitive to
temperature although my container plants are usually are among my best
performers. If possible place plants in front of a white, south facing
wall, keep soil moist, and fish emulsion every 2 weeks.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:22:29 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:

In my garden, the corn and the peppers are the most sensitive to
temperature although my container plants are usually are among my best
performers. If possible place plants in front of a white, south facing
wall, keep soil moist, and fish emulsion every 2 weeks.

Hi. Both you and JoeSpareBedroom made effectively the same recommendation,
so that's what I'm trying, thanks. fish emulsion, I'm presuming
that's to add nutrients? I've never had to do that before, but then again
I've never grown them in containers before. Do you have any advice about
how to go about doing that, or pages I can read about it, or anything
like that? Thanks.

-c
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Chris Metzler" wrote in
message t...
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:22:29 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:

In my garden, the corn and the peppers are the most sensitive to
temperature although my container plants are usually are among my best
performers. If possible place plants in front of a white, south facing
wall, keep soil moist, and fish emulsion every 2 weeks.

Hi. Both you and JoeSpareBedroom made effectively the same
recommendation,
so that's what I'm trying, thanks. fish emulsion, I'm presuming
that's to add nutrients? I've never had to do that before, but then again
I've never grown them in containers before. Do you have any advice about
how to go about doing that, or pages I can read about it, or anything
like that? Thanks.

-c

Can you get to a library? You're asking people to write a book for you, but
that's already been done.

As far as the fish emulsion, it *is* for nutrients. The stuff's a bit
smelly, though, and on a few occasions, I've had container plants near
sitting areas and they weren't pleasant to be near. The smell disappears
after a day or two, and some people don't even notice it. If you find it
bothersome, dilute with more water than recommended in the instructions.

Old 13-07-2007, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:45:15 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Chris Metzler" wrote in
message t...

Hi. Both you and JoeSpareBedroom made effectively the same
recommendation,
so that's what I'm trying, thanks. fish emulsion, I'm presuming
that's to add nutrients? I've never had to do that before, but then again
I've never grown them in containers before. Do you have any advice about
how to go about doing that, or pages I can read about it, or anything
like that? Thanks.

Can you get to a library? You're asking people to write a book for you, but
that's already been done.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ask for that much info -- hence the request for
web suggestions, if anyone had them. Anyway, thanks much.

-c

[IMG] code is On

Chili Peppers Danzo Gardening 5 09-07-2011 04:45 PM
Thai Pepper plants having trouble - Florida - "pickinu" David[_11_] Edible Gardening 9 21-04-2008 03:16 PM
** Thai Pepper plants having 2 problems - S. Florida - "pickinu" ** David[_11_] Gardening 5 20-04-2008 11:28 PM
What do I do with my chili peppers? Kevin Miller Edible Gardening 7 23-08-2003 03:12 AM
Chili peppers lose their sting upon drying? Ian Gil Edible Gardening 2 14-07-2003 12:52 AM