GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Catnip in bloom (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/161580-catnip-bloom.html)

Eigenvector 12-07-2007 01:10 AM

Catnip in bloom

I didn't even realize it did that, but my catnip is in full bloom! Well
full bloom is a strong word, actually it looks more like a huge collection
of tiny purple flowers on the stems - but I'm still impressed by the sheer
number of them on a single plant.

Does the flowering do anything to the plant, like make it lose its smell or
die it off?

zxcvbob 12-07-2007 01:21 AM

Catnip in bloom

Eigenvector wrote:
I didn't even realize it did that, but my catnip is in full bloom! Well
full bloom is a strong word, actually it looks more like a huge collection
of tiny purple flowers on the stems - but I'm still impressed by the sheer
number of them on a single plant.

Does the flowering do anything to the plant, like make it lose its smell or
die it off?

That sounds more like catmint rather than catnip. Is it about 3 feet
tall (or more), or about 16 to 18 inches tall and growing in clumps?

Bob

Ann 12-07-2007 01:44 AM

Catnip in bloom

"Eigenvector" expounded:

I didn't even realize it did that, but my catnip is in full bloom! Well
full bloom is a strong word, actually it looks more like a huge collection
of tiny purple flowers on the stems - but I'm still impressed by the sheer
number of them on a single plant.

Does the flowering do anything to the plant, like make it lose its smell or
die it off?

No, but it does produce prodigious quantities of seed, if you don't
want *lots* of catnip, be sure to cut the plants down after they
finish flowering.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Eigenvector 12-07-2007 02:04 AM

Catnip in bloom

"Ann" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" expounded:

I didn't even realize it did that, but my catnip is in full bloom! Well
full bloom is a strong word, actually it looks more like a huge collection
of tiny purple flowers on the stems - but I'm still impressed by the sheer
number of them on a single plant.

Does the flowering do anything to the plant, like make it lose its smell
or
die it off?

No, but it does produce prodigious quantities of seed, if you don't
want *lots* of catnip, be sure to cut the plants down after they
finish flowering.
--

Actually I do want a ton of the stuff. So I guess I'll let it rip and see
what happens.

Ann 12-07-2007 02:26 AM

Catnip in bloom

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Actually I do want a ton of the stuff. So I guess I'll let it rip and see
what happens.

OK, but don't say I didn't warn you! G