GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   something living in wrapped up blueberry leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/161679-something-living-wrapped-up-blueberry-leaves.html)

Charlie[_4_] 13-07-2007 11:57 PM

something living in wrapped up blueberry leaves

Hello all,

I started a blueberry plant (bluecrop) in a large planter early this
summer, its doing well, lots of new growth, but lately i've been
noticing some of the leaves are wrapped up with a web like substance,
it appears something is living inside some of them... any idea what
this could be? or if it will hurt my plant? The strawberry plant in
the next planter appears fine.

cheers,

- Charlie

Amos Nomore 14-07-2007 03:42 AM

something living in wrapped up blueberry leaves

In article . com,
Charlie wrote:

Hello all,

I started a blueberry plant (bluecrop) in a large planter early this
summer, its doing well, lots of new growth, but lately i've been
noticing some of the leaves are wrapped up with a web like substance,
it appears something is living inside some of them... any idea what
this could be? or if it will hurt my plant? The strawberry plant in
the next planter appears fine.

They may or may not be hurting your plant, but they aren't going to hurt
you if you take a little peek. If you find spiders - don't worry.
Caterpillars - maybe worry a little. Spider mites - worry. Bug-eyed
aliens from another dimension - freak out. Look closer and tell us what
you find.

Phisherman[_1_] 14-07-2007 01:06 PM

something living in wrapped up blueberry leaves

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:57:16 -0000, Charlie
wrote:

Hello all,

I started a blueberry plant (bluecrop) in a large planter early this
summer, its doing well, lots of new growth, but lately i've been
noticing some of the leaves are wrapped up with a web like substance,
it appears something is living inside some of them... any idea what
this could be? or if it will hurt my plant? The strawberry plant in
the next planter appears fine.

cheers,

- Charlie

If it were my plant, I'd open the curled leaf, inspect, and wash it
off with soapy water.

Rachael Simpson 14-07-2007 01:57 PM

Charlie wrote:
Hello all,

I started a blueberry plant (bluecrop) in a large planter early this
summer, its doing well, lots of new growth, but lately i've been
noticing some of the leaves are wrapped up with a web like substance,
it appears something is living inside some of them... any idea what
this could be? or if it will hurt my plant? The strawberry plant in
the next planter appears fine.

cheers,

- Charlie

back home (where i am originally from) we had writing spiders all in the
blueberry bushes. our bushes also had the curled up leaves/webby stuff.
don't know if the two were connected though. iirc, our bushes did fine
regardless.

rae