GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting daffodills (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/161689-planting-daffodills.html)

Eigenvector 14-07-2007 02:22 AM

Planting daffodills

A couple weeks back I asked about planting groundcover in bad soil. So I've
fixed it up and made some calls and spoke to my mother about plants. She
suggested planting daffodils and creeping thyme, maybe some Echinacea or
catMINT (not catnip).

I can do that, but when do you plant bulb plants? Fall, now, or in the
spring? I've never planted daffodils before so I'm not sure what to do
there.

Jan Flora 14-07-2007 08:11 AM

Planting daffodills

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

A couple weeks back I asked about planting groundcover in bad soil. So I've
fixed it up and made some calls and spoke to my mother about plants. She
suggested planting daffodils and creeping thyme, maybe some Echinacea or
catMINT (not catnip).

I can do that, but when do you plant bulb plants? Fall, now, or in the
spring? I've never planted daffodils before so I'm not sure what to do
there.

Plant bulbs in the fall. Throw a handful of bonemeal in every
hole, if you want to. Later on (not the first year), throw some
fertilizer at the bulbs every spring. 10-10-10 or whatever you
usually use in your garden. (We use 8-32-16 here.)

When the bulbs show up in the feed store, it's time to plant them.

Jan in Alaska

Eigenvector 14-07-2007 04:19 PM

Planting daffodills

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

A couple weeks back I asked about planting groundcover in bad soil. So
I've
fixed it up and made some calls and spoke to my mother about plants. She
suggested planting daffodils and creeping thyme, maybe some Echinacea or
catMINT (not catnip).

I can do that, but when do you plant bulb plants? Fall, now, or in the
spring? I've never planted daffodils before so I'm not sure what to do
there.

Plant bulbs in the fall. Throw a handful of bonemeal in every
hole, if you want to. Later on (not the first year), throw some
fertilizer at the bulbs every spring. 10-10-10 or whatever you
usually use in your garden. (We use 8-32-16 here.)

When the bulbs show up in the feed store, it's time to plant them.

Jan in Alaska

Fall it is then, thanks.