Old 14-07-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Languishing peppers

In my garden, I have some very happy eggplants right next to a bad of
unhappy peppers. Same water, same soil, same fertilizer, sun, etc. Across
the garden I have more peppers. All of them are languishing. They look as if
they are in a state of mild wilt. Not yellow, not obviously diseased, no
deformities, no growths. All of them do this. In the bed next to them are
some eggplants that are growing like crazy, next to that are some tomatillos
and tomatoes that are exploding out of the ground. What is different about
peppers that they are unhappy in conditions that eggplants, tomatoes, and
tomatillos flourish in?

Old 14-07-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
In my garden, I have some very happy eggplants right next to a bad of
unhappy peppers. Same water, same soil, same fertilizer, sun, etc. Across
the garden I have more peppers. All of them are languishing. They look as
if they are in a state of mild wilt. Not yellow, not obviously diseased,
no deformities, no growths. All of them do this. In the bed next to them
are some eggplants that are growing like crazy, next to that are some
tomatillos and tomatoes that are exploding out of the ground. What is
different about peppers that they are unhappy in conditions that
eggplants, tomatoes, and tomatillos flourish in?

Which brings up a point. Why do people further north (TX here) generically
call peppers that, instead of a specific type of pepper?
Dave

Old 14-07-2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
In my garden, I have some very happy eggplants right next to a bad of
unhappy peppers. Same water, same soil, same fertilizer, sun, etc. Across
the garden I have more peppers. All of them are languishing. They look as
if they are in a state of mild wilt. Not yellow, not obviously diseased,
no deformities, no growths. All of them do this. In the bed next to them
are some eggplants that are growing like crazy, next to that are some
tomatillos and tomatoes that are exploding out of the ground. What is
different about peppers that they are unhappy in conditions that
eggplants, tomatoes, and tomatillos flourish in?

I'm in Western NY, and there have been years when my bell peppers have
languished in the summer heat, and started to rock & roll in September when
the weather cooled down. I've concluded that when experts say a plant likes
full sun, that doesn't necessarily mean they like heat. In my current
garden, I've planted them so they'll be shaded by the tomato cages during
the hottest part of the day.

You might try shading them with window screen stapled to wooden stakes. And,
be sure they're mulched. I use lawn clippings for that, adding about an inch
every couple of weeks.

Old 14-07-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

I'm in Western NY, and there have been years when my bell peppers have
languished in the summer heat, and started to rock & roll in September
when the weather cooled down. I've concluded that when experts say a plant
likes full sun, that doesn't necessarily mean they like heat. In my
current garden, I've planted them so they'll be shaded by the tomato cages
during the hottest part of the day.

You might try shading them with window screen stapled to wooden stakes.
And, be sure they're mulched. I use lawn clippings for that, adding about
an inch every couple of weeks.

We are just now getting hot weather, and when it was cooler they didn't look
any better. I thought maybe I was watering them too much? The eggplants
right next to them are exploding out of the ground. I read up on them, and
all I really found was that they like hot weather, evenly moist soil but not
wet soil. I'm going to fertilize them and step up the watering and see what
happens. I read up on eggplants, and found the same thing - hot weather,
moist soil, go figure?

Old 14-07-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

1) Take notes about when you fertilize so you don't forget and overdo it.

2) Did these pepper plants come from a store, or did you grow them yourself
from seed? If a store, what kind? Home Despot, Wal Mart, Lowe's or another
place where the plants may have been tortured in unimaginable ways?

Old 16-07-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

My bell peppers and jalapenos are not doing well either, my friend's
peppers are of the same type are growing like gangbusters. He had a book
that said peppers need to be close to each other, leaves touching
leaves. His are close to each other, my peppers are spaced apart. Being
close may also provide the shade or with propagation. I am not an expert
so I do not know if this theory applies to you or me.

Enjoy Life .... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 20-07-2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

My bell peppers and jalapenos are not doing well either, my friend's
peppers are of the same type are growing like gangbusters. He had a book
that said peppers need to be close to each other, leaves touching
leaves. His are close to each other, my peppers are spaced apart. Being
close may also provide the shade or with propagation. I am not an expert
so I do not know if this theory applies to you or me.

Enjoy Life .... Dan

Here is a pic of what my peppers are doing:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF9502.jpg

This plant is actually blooming, and they are all growing. You can see how
the leaves are slightly deformed, wrinkled. They get plenty of moisture,
fertilizer, and sun. There is a mixture of several different types, all
grown from seeds, and all exhibit the same symptoms.