GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/161706-help-fertilizing-japanese-maple-pot.html)

Dwight 14-07-2007 06:18 PM

Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot

I have four foot Seiryu in its second year in a five gallon clay pot in
the Seattle area.

It browned up in the sun, and so I have moved it to shade, with a board
to protect the pot from the sun, and it is greening up nicely now, but
still no new growth yet.

I plan to move it to a bigger pot this winter.

People say these trees dont need much fertilizer, but I wonder if a
little might help at this point?

If so what sort of fertilizer?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight Gibb

symplastless 15-07-2007 01:20 AM

Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot

Good question.
Maybe microelements.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

ink.net...

Phisherman[_1_] 15-07-2007 04:47 PM

Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:18:14 GMT, Dwight
wrote:

I have four foot Seiryu in its second year in a five gallon clay pot in
the Seattle area.

It browned up in the sun, and so I have moved it to shade, with a board
to protect the pot from the sun, and it is greening up nicely now, but
still no new growth yet.

I plan to move it to a bigger pot this winter.

People say these trees dont need much fertilizer, but I wonder if a
little might help at this point?

If so what sort of fertilizer?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight Gibb

You can do more harm than good by overfertilizing, especially a potted
plant. Since it is outdoors, you can feed it an organic fertilizer
such as fish emulsion, cow-manure tea, or Shultz fertilizer to the
water. My Jap Maple is recovering from the severe spring frost
die-off, plus a drastic pruning of dead branches--although in bad
shape it is recovering slowly. A general guideline is to back off
fertilizing when a plant is in stress. Deciduous trees are best fed
late fall through early spring. Watch for signs of insect/mite
damage, use a magnifying glass.

symplastless 15-07-2007 08:17 PM

Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot

There is a big difference between fertilizing with nitrogen verses
micro-elements.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist