Old 20-07-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peace lily - newbie needs urgent help

Hello All,
I had an indoor peace lily that was getting very crowded so I split it
and repotted it. A couple of the newer pots are doing very poorly and
quite looks like it's dying rather fast. One problem during the
repotting was that the roots were exposed to the air for about an
hour. Also they've probably been getting too much sunlight so I'll
move them away from the light a bit. Any suggestion about giving them
food or anything else I can do to help them recover? Thanks,
Chris

Old 20-07-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 10:55 am, Chris M wrote:
Hello All,
I had an indoor peace lily that was getting very crowded so I split it
and repotted it. A couple of the newer pots are doing very poorly and
quite looks like it's dying rather fast. One problem during the
repotting was that the roots were exposed to the air for about an
hour. Also they've probably been getting too much sunlight so I'll
move them away from the light a bit. Any suggestion about giving them
food or anything else I can do to help them recover? Thanks,
Chris

you do know not to touch the leaves of a peace lily, right? how big
was the plant before you repotted it? you are right about the
sunlight. in my experience, they don't care for it too much, just a
little in-direct light is good enough for them. i don't usually thin
out peace lillies, just move them up to a larger pot or basket.

Old 20-07-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:55:08 -0000, Chris M wrote:
Hello All,
I had an indoor peace lily that was getting very crowded so I split it
and repotted it. A couple of the newer pots are doing very poorly and
quite looks like it's dying rather fast. One problem during the

No, "food" won't do any good here (it's generally not a good idea to
fertilize a stressed plant, unless the stress truly is a mineral deficiency)

Have you been overwatering? Do the roots fill at least 2/3 of the
pot?

If the root ball is small in relation to the pot size, uproot them,
wash off the roots, and repot in a smaller pot with fresh soil.

It's fairly normal to loose a few leaves when splitting a plant, but
your trouble makes me think root rot, though I'm going more on gut feeling
than real evidence here.
Old 22-07-2007, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 12:09 pm, raeannsimpson wrote:
On Jul 20, 10:55 am, Chris M wrote:

Hello All,

you do know not to touch the leaves of a peace lily, right?

I have never heard this before. I have a couple of peace lilies and
am curious as to why one should not touch the leaves. Would you
elaborate on this for me? Thank you.

Old 22-07-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

dannysmom wrote:
On Jul 20, 12:09 pm, raeannsimpson wrote:
On Jul 20, 10:55 am, Chris M wrote:

Hello All,

you do know not to touch the leaves of a peace lily, right?

I have never heard this before. I have a couple of peace lilies and
am curious as to why one should not touch the leaves. Would you
elaborate on this for me? Thank you.

Well, I don't know if it's fact or not, but I have seen the results of
this. It's something that I've heard all my life. (my grandmother kept
peace lilies around all the time.) Have you ever noticed the
black/brown spots wherever the leaves have been touched? I was told that
touching the leaves causes the spots. Something about the oils of the
skin being "poison-like" to the plant. When you touch it, it also rubs
off the natural, protective oils of the plant. I was also taught to
trim the brown tips of the leaves with scissors. Like I said, don't
know if it's a "science-proven" fact. But I can tell a difference in
the peace lilies I've cared for. The leaves stay green and healthy
looking.