GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help! I wat to grow an everygreen climber - any suggestions? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162002-help-i-wat-grow-everygreen-climber-any-suggestions.html)

rflook 21-07-2007 06:01 PM

Help! I wat to grow an everygreen climber - any suggestions?

Hi,

After having a garden which was just totally overgrown for a year i managed to dig up all of the huge trees/bushes and have a lovely lawn on the way. Now my next plan was to cover a rather boring wall with a trellis and climber. However after a quick trip to the local garden centre i was told that it was too late for me to grow a climber as it will die when winter comes. He suggested i could buy a pre grown climber but that is no good to me as i dont have a car and therefore no way of getting it home.

I was hoping therefore that there might be a year round climber that is quite hardy.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

symplastless 21-07-2007 09:00 PM

Help! I wat to grow an everygreen climber - any suggestions?

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Why did you get rid of the trees? What is your goal?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

mleblanca 22-07-2007 01:05 AM

--
rflook

Where on this earth are you?

mle

Jim Kingdon 25-07-2007 05:58 PM

Help! I wat to grow an everygreen climber - any suggestions?

However after a quick trip to the local garden centre i was told that
it was too late for me to grow a climber as it will die when winter
comes.

Any climber? That seems like kind of a sweeping statement. Perhaps
they were trying to sell you the pre grown climbers? Most perennials
do well with fall planting. Summer can be OK too if they get enough
water while it is hot and they aren't established yet.

What is your location and what are you looking for in this plant?
Foliage (all year round? fall colors?)? Showy flowers? Fragrant
flowers? Fruit (grapes? Some kind of espalied tree?)?

Things like beans and peas can grow up a trellis too although they are
mostly annuals so you might have been looking for something which
lasts more of the year.