Old 22-07-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Poison Ive and wells

I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this near
a well should be a concern?

Thanks,
Fred

Old 22-07-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fred
This is a very good question.
It was once explained to me that if there may be a space around your well
pipe that a chemical could go directly down.

here is a site on pesticides. The links listed may have a better answer for
you. I do not get PI and maybe you could find somebody like me to pull the
PI. Which reminds me I forgot to pull some at one of my clients.

http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/spring.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 22-07-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:54:28 -0400, "Fred"
wrote:

I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this near
a well should be a concern?

Thanks,
Fred

Even though RoundUp breaks down quickly and is low in toxicity, find a
person that is non-allergic to pull it out. Plants usually pull out
easier after a soaking rain.
Old 23-07-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Fred" wrote in message
I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this

near
a well should be a concern?

Besides getting in your drinking water, Round-Up et.al. won't work. Sure
it will kill the leaves, but not the roots and it will grow back.
Numerous sites suggest several repeat applications, so you're taking a
risk without reward, except your $$$----- Monsanto.
If you must spray, horticultural vinegar will do the same as Round-Up,
still won't kill the roots (repeat applications again), it's expansive and
nasty stuff to breathe.
Pay someone to pull it, as suggested.

Old 23-07-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Fred" wrote:
I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this near
a well should be a concern?

Round up will kill poison ivy completely but no brand of defoliant is
permanent, eventually poison ivy may invade again, it'll be different
plants. If you're concerned about leaching into your well you can
also use rock salt for controlling tough weeds. In any event I don't
think you need to concern yourself with contamination unless your well
is very shallow, like less than 20 feet. Just follow the directions.

http://www.roundup.com/index.cfm/eve...b20570cf00d81b

Old 23-07-2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Fred" wrote:
I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this

near
a well should be a concern?

Round up will kill poison ivy completely but no brand of defoliant is
permanent, eventually poison ivy may invade again, it'll be different
plants. If you're concerned about leaching into your well you can
also use rock salt for controlling tough weeds. In any event I don't
think you need to concern yourself with contamination unless your well
is very shallow, like less than 20 feet.

Monsanto's Roundup Herbicide Contaminates Drinking Water
http://www.organicconsumers.org/food...sate051503.cfm

Danish water contaminated by round-up, ban imposed
http://www.newfarm.org/international...n_rr_ban.shtml

September 15, 2003: Denmark has imposed a ban on the spraying of glyphosates
today following the release of data which found that glyphosate, the active
ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup herbicide (RR) has been contaminating the
drinking water resources of the country.
The chemical has, against all expectations sieving down through the soil and
polluting the ground water at a rate of five times more than the allowed
level for drinking water, according to tests done by the Denmark and
Greenland Geological Research Institution (DGGRI)

Old 23-07-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ok, I am not a product pusher but the product "deer fence" keeps deer away.
I have a client that uses it and it has worked wonders. I will get
information and MSDS on the product and report back. It does work.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 23-07-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 22, 7:22 pm, "cat daddy" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

Monsanto's Roundup Herbicide Contaminates Drinking Waterhttp://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/glyphosate051503.cfm

Danish water contaminated by round-up, ban imposedhttp://www.newfarm.org/international/news/090103/092203/dn_rr_ban.shtml

September 15, 2003: Denmark has imposed a ban on the spraying of glyphosates
today following the release of data which found that glyphosate, the active
ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup herbicide (RR) has been contaminating the
drinking water resources of the country.
The chemical has, against all expectations sieving down through the soil and
polluting the ground water at a rate of five times more than the allowed
level for drinking water, according to tests done by the Denmark and
Greenland Geological Research Institution (DGGRI)

Good information about glyphosate is also found here
http://www.pesticide.org/glyphosate.pdf .

Poison ivy can also be removed safely with a weed twister. A long
handle of 48 or 54 inches will protect you from touching the plant.
Be sure to wash off the tool after using it on poison ivy.

There is also now a 12 step herbicide detox program.

-----
At peace with weeds!

Old 23-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 22, 10:22?pm, "cat daddy" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

"Fred" wrote:
[...]

These articles are little more than alarmist tactics... there's no
mention about the depth of the ground water, or if the product was
used according to directions. A lot of folks tend of mix too strong a
batch thinking if a little is good more is fantastic... not true...
with these type of products less is more. One can overdose on aspirin
too.. one can over dose on anything, even too much water can kill
you..

I would prefer not using chemicals but with poison ivy control that's
not always possible. Pulling out poison ivy plants never works, if
even the tinest bit of root remains it won't be too very long and the
plant will grow back, stronger than ever.

Old 23-07-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
raycruzer wrote:

On Jul 22, 7:22 pm, "cat daddy" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

"Fred" wrote:
[...]

Nice to see Sheldon, a.k.a. Ortho Man, makin' new acquaintances. He's
been hanging around the same crowd for too long.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Old 24-07-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Fred" wrote:
I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering
using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the
chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know if using this

near
a well should be a concern?

Round up will kill poison ivy completely but no brand of defoliant is
permanent, eventually poison ivy may invade again...

One technique if you want to avoid overspray or unwanted spray onto the
ground is to brush the Roundup directly onto the leaves using a cheapo foam
brush. You don't have to coat every single leaf. A little bit of Roundup
goes a long way. A repeat treatment is almost always required for poison
ivy. This technique works particularly well when the poison ivy is running
up the side of a tree and you can easily stand right next to the leaves. I'm
not sure how you would handle a huge patch on the ground.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

Old 25-07-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 24, 4:46?pm, "Alan Sung" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

"Fred" wrote:
[...]

With a thick patch on the ground not much spray will get through to
the soil... only needs a quick spray, not a drenching. The new tank
sprayer wand nozzles are available in multiple spray patterns (cone,
flat, jet, and of various sized patterns) and are easily adjustable
from a fine mist to a light spray to a shower. A light spray rather
than a mist keeps the chemical from becoming airborne, for better
control choose a narrow diameter cone pattern... most sprayers come
with a package of various tips, the plastic tips are better than the
old style brass ones, they are more accurate, don't corrode, and are
color coded to match the supplied pattern chart.

Anyone who uses a sprayer for defolient needs to mark that sprayer
prominently and don't use it for any thing else, like fertilizers and
insecticides... no matter how well you think you've washed it out
plastic tanks always hold some residual chemical. You really need
separate sprayers for fertilizers and insecticides too. Tank sprayers
are inexpensive, get at least two, three is better. It's a good idea
to buy different brands/models so there's no chance of switching
parts.

I've found a two gallon size is best for me, a three gallon tank can
become very heavy lugging about on a hot day... and for spraying
insecticides on trees often you'll need to climb a ladder for the
spray to reach the uppermost portions, it's not easy to climb even a
small step ladder with a sprayer tank, the liquid sloshes and can
easily put you off balance, plus a couple of gallons can get very
heavy on a ladder.

Anytime you spray anything wear goggles, not safety glasses, safety
goggles. And if you do any misting wear a face mask of some sort,
should really be a respirator. I don't do misting, I strongly
recommend no one does. And wear sturdy protective clothing, long
sleeves and no shorts. And always strip down before entering where
you live and wash those clothes immediately and separately, and shower
well right away... cold first, then warm and plenty of soap. Wear
rubber boots, hose those off in a safe place outdoors, not where
children or pets can go, not in the pond or creek. No eating or
drinking when spraying, not even gum, and NO SMOKING! Smoking is bad
enough, it's a million times worse when the cigarette has sprayer
chemicals on it.

When working with chemicals make sure your thinker is turned full on.

Old 25-07-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

I find draping in plastic and dropping stacks of newspapers onto that
to hold it down usually kills them. Ingrid
Old 25-07-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pulling out poison ivy plants never works, if even the tinest bit of
root remains it won't be too very long and the plant will grow back,
stronger than ever.

Pulling out poison ivy has worked for me.

There was one major set of passes last summer, which got the big, huge
roots and stems (use the leaves to follow the vines downward, keep
following and dig out roots; try not to just break off vines). Some
touch-up work a few times later in the summer to get what I had missed
before. About 2 or 3 rounds this spring of pulling up whatever was
left. But those were really minor.

Wear leather gloves and long sleves. After coming inside, all the
clothes go directly in the laundry and you go directly in the shower.
Even if you think you are immune this is a good precaution as I've
read that sensitivity to poison ivy will increase with repeated
exposure.

So maybe a total of 20 hours (wild guess) spread over a year (but
mostly at the start of that time period). This was for a patch which
was maybe 10 feet by 10 feet (growing up a fence, a tree, a bunch of
shrubs, and a dead stump). Pruning back the general overgrowth in
that area (English Ivy, Wisteria, shrubs, periwinkle) made it easier
to get at the poison ivy.