Old 24-07-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default shrub recommendation - salt tolerant, arborvitae like

I originally was going to put in a line of Arborvitae pyramidalis
(emerald green) along the east side of our church, but some more
research showed that the salt from the parking lot could make this a
poor choice. Can anyone point me to a shrub similar is shape
(upright, 3-4 ft diameter, good for a hedge perhaps eventually) that
is more salt tolerant? We're in MI, zone 6.

Thank you!
marcos

Old 25-07-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good question I do not have the answer. It is often the salt spray in the
air that does the harm.
Tree near fast moving cars would have more mist in the air.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

ups.com...

Old 25-07-2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:23:36 -0000, socram
wrote:

I originally was going to put in a line of Arborvitae pyramidalis
(emerald green) along the east side of our church, but some more
research showed that the salt from the parking lot could make this a
poor choice. Can anyone point me to a shrub similar is shape
(upright, 3-4 ft diameter, good for a hedge perhaps eventually) that
is more salt tolerant? We're in MI, zone 6.

Thank you!
marcos

I don't have a specific recommendation. Escallonia is a salt-tolerant
shrub (forming a hedge that I have around my garden in the UK), but
after a little googling, here are links to a couple of pdf files that
may give you some ideas about a variety of salt-tolerant shrubs.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/fileli...5505/20066.pdf

http://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/dow...references.PDF

Geoff
Old 25-07-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:23:36 -0000, socram wrote:
I originally was going to put in a line of Arborvitae pyramidalis
(emerald green) along the east side of our church, but some more
research showed that the salt from the parking lot could make this a
poor choice. Can anyone point me to a shrub similar is shape
(upright, 3-4 ft diameter, good for a hedge perhaps eventually) that
is more salt tolerant? We're in MI, zone 6.

paste these two lines back together:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/index.html#
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/stable.html
or go to:
http://tinyurl.com/25mglo

Consider using one of the calcium-based deicers, too.

[IMG] code is On

Tall thin shrub recommendation?? Kate United Kingdom 55 16-12-2012 04:37 PM
Shrub Recommendation - Please ! Joe McElvenney United Kingdom 8 06-05-2004 12:05 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Foundation Shrub Recommendation gardengene Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 05:44 AM