Old 26-07-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Free range wheat

Has anybody here tried growing free range wheat? If so, what were your
experiences?

rob

Old 28-07-2007, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Has anybody here tried growing free range wheat? If so, what were your
experiences?

Free range as opposed to caged?

As for growing wheat, you need a lot of acreage to get a bag of flour.
And the processing is more complicated than with, say, maize.

Then there are ornamental wheats:
http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/OWHEA.html

I don't know, why wheat?
Old 28-07-2007, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jim Kingdon wrote:

Has anybody here tried growing free range wheat? If so, what were your
experiences?

Free range as opposed to caged?

As for growing wheat, you need a lot of acreage to get a bag of flour.
And the processing is more complicated than with, say, maize.

Then there are ornamental wheats:
http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/OWHEA.html

I don't know, why wheat?

Be careful. If your wheat gets infected with ergot you could get busted
for growing LSD. Otherwise it is an heirloom from Asia Minor.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 28-07-2007, 09:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
Has anybody here tried growing free range wheat? If so, what were your
experiences?

Free range as opposed to caged?

yes, battery farmed wheat. Free range seems far more ethical, better for you
and the wheat.

rob

Old 28-07-2007, 10:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
Has anybody here tried growing free range wheat? If so, what were

your
experiences?

Free range as opposed to caged?

yes, battery farmed wheat. Free range seems far more ethical, better for

you
and the wheat.

It's terrible to think of those wheat plants in battery farm fields,
all crowded so close together, there's no room to lie down or turn
round.

exactly. My reckoning is that free range wheat has a far better life with
room to move, it is more ethical and shoud ultimately taste better than cage
farmed wheat. I reckon free range wheat muffins will be lovely.

rob

Old 29-07-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news Has anybody here tried growing free range wheat? If so, what were

your
experiences?
Free range as opposed to caged?
yes, battery farmed wheat. Free range seems far more ethical, better for

you
and the wheat.
It's terrible to think of those wheat plants in battery farm fields,
all crowded so close together, there's no room to lie down or turn
round.

exactly. My reckoning is that free range wheat has a far better life with
room to move, it is more ethical and shoud ultimately taste better than cage
farmed wheat. I reckon free range wheat muffins will be lovely.

Ideally, each grain should be planted solo in a generous sized pot.
This reduces fighting and antisocial behaviour. Wheat grown the humane
way makes bigger muffins.

Janet

Oh, but then there's the danger that the muffins, coming from such
overindulged plants, will become narcissistic and will think themselves
too good to be eaten. Who knows what that would lead to?

helco
Old 30-07-2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

"helco" wrote in message
m...
Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

went to a meetng this evening where a vegan had made scones. I asked whether
they were made with free range wheat. People thought the comment was very
clever, pity they didn't think the same of me.

rob