GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Worst Flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162294-worst-flower.html)

javawizard 28-07-2007 06:31 PM

Worst Flower

The world's largest flower is also one of the worst smelling flowers.
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal. The flower is attempting to attract
flies for pollination. - from www.odd-info.com

FragileWarrior 28-07-2007 08:52 PM

Worst Flower

javawizard wrote in news:1185643918.467076.146130
@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

The world's largest flower is also one of the worst smelling flowers.
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal. The flower is attempting to attract
flies for pollination. - from www.odd-info.com

And if you'd like to see a similar plant with a garbage-like odor, take a
look at:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...5994325GDUtRa?
vhost=home-and-garden

It's a Voodoo Lily. It grows here in central Indiana (Zone 5b) and it
*reeks* when in bloom. Cool flower, though.

Jim Elbrecht 02-08-2007 12:10 PM

Worst Flower

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:52:13 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:
-snip-
And if you'd like to see a similar plant with a garbage-like odor, take a
look at:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...5994325GDUtRa?
vhost=home-and-garden

It's a Voodoo Lily. It grows here in central Indiana (Zone 5b) and it
*reeks* when in bloom. Cool flower, though.

We have Skunk Cabbage in New York-- To me it smells more like cat
urine than skunk-- But the flower sure is pretty.
And the latin name just rolls off the tongue;
Symplocarpus foetidus
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...arpusfoet.html

Jim