GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Purple Fungus In Compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162451-purple-fungus-compost.html)

[email protected] 31-07-2007 08:45 AM

Purple Fungus In Compost?

Hi Everybody,

I have noticed recently some purple dust-like material on the top
of my compost. I pour enough liquid on, that it should wash off,
but the fuzz is there again a couple of days later. So I am
guessing that this a some kind of fungus, mold, or something like
that.

I use a covered plastic bin, and everything seems to be going OK.

Any ideas what is?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Jim Kingdon 31-07-2007 02:50 PM

Purple Fungus In Compost?

I have noticed recently some purple dust-like material on the top of
my compost. I pour enough liquid on, that it should wash off, but the
fuzz is there again a couple of days later. So I am guessing that
this a some kind of fungus, mold, or something like that.

Sounds like it.

I don't know much about identifying one kind versus another, but a
compost bin is all about letting the decomposers (fungus, bacteria,
etc) do their thing. So the chances are quite good that this is a
non-problem (and in fact will stop once the decomposition gets to a
certain point).

Omelet 31-07-2007 03:13 PM

Purple Fungus In Compost?

In article ,
wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I have noticed recently some purple dust-like material on the top
of my compost. I pour enough liquid on, that it should wash off,
but the fuzz is there again a couple of days later. So I am
guessing that this a some kind of fungus, mold, or something like
that.

I use a covered plastic bin, and everything seems to be going OK.

Any ideas what is?

How about a jpeg? :-)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Mold in the compost bin? Thank momma nature!

It's a decomposer second to none.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.