GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Paulownia tree seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162488-paulownia-tree-seeds.html)

J. Davidson 01-08-2007 12:56 AM

Paulownia tree seeds

Does anyone have Paulownia sees to give away?
Jackie

Kay Lancaster 01-08-2007 10:42 AM

Paulownia tree seeds

Does anyone have Paulownia sees to give away?

Why? It's a miserably brittle-wooded tree, and rather weedy...
Are you sure you want to inflict it on yourself?
`
Kay

jangchub 02-08-2007 12:29 AM

Paulownia tree seeds

On 1 Aug 2007 09:42:02 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Does anyone have Paulownia sees to give away?

Why? It's a miserably brittle-wooded tree, and rather weedy...
Are you sure you want to inflict it on yourself?
`
Kay

Actually it's a reliably hard wood tree which has been cultivated for
many years and used as renewable resource building material. I can
check out back if I have any pods and if you email me your address
I'll send them.

Kay Lancaster 02-08-2007 10:42 AM

Paulownia tree seeds

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:29:16 -0500, jangchub wrote:
On 1 Aug 2007 09:42:02 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Does anyone have Paulownia sees to give away?

Why? It's a miserably brittle-wooded tree, and rather weedy...
Are you sure you want to inflict it on yourself?
`
Kay

Actually it's a reliably hard wood tree which has been cultivated for
many years and used as renewable resource building material. I can

It's fairly rot-resistant, but rather brittle. And it's quite invasive
in many parts of N America. It's made the noxious weed list in CT.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pato1.htm
http://www.invasive.org/eastern/srs/P_RP.html
http://ipetrus.blogspot.com/2006/11/...-heritage.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...s/trees-new/pa
ulownia_tomentosa.html

The wood is quite brittle when on the tree... a light ice storm can tear half
the crown out, and snagging a branch on a shirt sleeve as you walk by can
break the branch. Stump sprouting is another problem.

Pretty, but not worth the invasiveness or mess, imho. There are many better
trees to plant.

Kay