GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162503-photo-week-mold-unknown.html)

Jack Schmidling[_1_] 01-08-2007 06:58 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown

I need some help on this one as I can not seem to identify it. Most
fungi that I can not identify, I just let pass and move on but this
picture was just too striking not to share it.

js

Brian Mailman 01-08-2007 07:52 PM

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I need some help on this one as I can not seem to identify it. Most
fungi that I can not identify, I just let pass and move on but this
picture was just too striking not to share it.

It looks remarkably like our new park lamps:
http://www.dtna.org/playgroundlamps.html

B/

[email protected][_1_] 01-08-2007 09:12 PM

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silverhttp://schmidling.com

Maybe Pilobus?

Daniel B. Wheeler

CB 02-08-2007 08:16 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown

It's referred to as a "hat thrower" fungus. Open this link and read the
caption. It sounds exactly like what you found.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroo...uskleinii.html

-Cathy

Kathi Jones 02-08-2007 09:56 PM

"cb" wrote in message
It's referred to as a "hat thrower" fungus. Open this link and read the
caption. It sounds exactly like what you found.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroo...uskleinii.html

-Cathy

LOL ! "Your parents will be delighted with your interest in science!"

interesting though,

Kathi

cooksalot 03-08-2007 05:55 PM

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroo...iloboluskleini...

-Cathy

LOL ! "Your parents will be delighted with your interest in science!"

interesting though,

Kathi

That is fascinating. We need to do a science section this year. hmmm

MushOMouth 06-08-2007 02:29 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown

ups.com...
"cb" wrote in message

It's referred to as a "hat thrower" fungus. Open this link and read the
caption. It sounds exactly like what you found.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroo...iloboluskleini...

-Cathy

LOL ! "Your parents will be delighted with your interest in science!"

interesting though,

Kathi

That is fascinating. We need to do a science section this year. hmmm

that thing does look friggin awesome

Amos Nomore 06-08-2007 02:55 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mold, unknown

In article ,
"MushOMouth" wrote:

ups.com...
"cb" wrote in message

It's referred to as a "hat thrower" fungus. Open this link and read the
caption. It sounds exactly like what you found.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/~mushroo...iloboluskleini...

-Cathy

LOL ! "Your parents will be delighted with your interest in science!"

interesting though,

Kathi

That is fascinating. We need to do a science section this year. hmmm

that thing does look friggin awesome

I wonder if anyone has ever photographed one blowing its top?

Armillaria caligata 16-08-2007 01:47 AM

On Aug 5, 6:55 pm, Amos Nomore wrote:

I wonder if anyone has ever photographed one blowing its top?

I've seen films of Pilobolus popping its spore mass, and I think I
recall seeing a film of Sphaerobolus doing the same thing. If I
filmed either I would use a very high-speed medium so I could try to
time it (if that is possible).