GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hostas by rooting cuttings ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162535-hostas-rooting-cuttings.html)

[email protected] 02-08-2007 12:08 AM

Hostas by rooting cuttings ?

I was so sure I'd saved an article from several years ago, on how to
take hosta root cuttings, rather than division, to expand your
collection.

Now I cannot find that article anywhere, so I'm wondering if anyone
else had heard of this method of propagating hostas?

Tarique

JoeSpareBedroom 02-08-2007 12:44 AM

Hostas by rooting cuttings ?

wrote in message

I was so sure I'd saved an article from several years ago, on how to
take hosta root cuttings, rather than division, to expand your
collection.

Now I cannot find that article anywhere, so I'm wondering if anyone
else had heard of this method of propagating hostas?

Tarique

When you did a google search using the words "hosta rooted cuttings", did it
produce any results?

[email protected] 02-08-2007 07:48 PM

Hostas by rooting cuttings ?

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 23:44:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

I was so sure I'd saved an article from several years ago, on how to
take hosta root cuttings, rather than division, to expand your
collection.

Now I cannot find that article anywhere, so I'm wondering if anyone
else had heard of this method of propagating hostas?

Tarique

When you did a google search using the words "hosta rooted cuttings", did it
produce any results?

No, I tried everything I could think of with google. Someone, just a
few years ago, did have a text article which I saved, on rooting
hostas by root cuttings. Unfortunately I have gone through a computer
crash and new computer since then, and its just not on my backup
disks.

Thanks for your reply.
Tarique

Pat Kiewicz 03-08-2007 12:19 PM

Hostas by rooting cuttings ?

said:

No, I tried everything I could think of with google. Someone, just a
few years ago, did have a text article which I saved, on rooting
hostas by root cuttings. Unfortunately I have gone through a computer
crash and new computer since then, and its just not on my backup
disks.

Are you sure it was root cuttings and not leaf or stem cuttings?
Hostas can be propagated by leaf cuttings, taken in mid summer,
with part of the stem attached.

There's a bit of discussion (from 2005) he
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...302813889.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Phisherman[_1_] 03-08-2007 10:31 PM

Hostas by rooting cuttings ?

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 06:19:59 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

said:

No, I tried everything I could think of with google. Someone, just a
few years ago, did have a text article which I saved, on rooting
hostas by root cuttings. Unfortunately I have gone through a computer
crash and new computer since then, and its just not on my backup
disks.

Are you sure it was root cuttings and not leaf or stem cuttings?
Hostas can be propagated by leaf cuttings, taken in mid summer,
with part of the stem attached.

There's a bit of discussion (from 2005) he
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...302813889.html

I thought the main propagation for Hosta is division, similar to
dividing a fern, planting a portion with top and root included. Water
well 2-3 days.