GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The Mother Of All Droughts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162641-mother-all-droughts.html)

Way Back Jack[_2_] 04-08-2007 02:55 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this
summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since
June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek.
All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the
entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.

Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

Rachael Simpson 04-08-2007 03:37 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

Way Back Jack wrote:
This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this
summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since
June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek.
All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the
entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.

Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

You aren't the only one saving gas in the mower. So far, I've only had
to cut grass once this year. We usually have to cut every 7-10 days,
starting in march, but not this year. The only good thing about the
drought in my opinion. What grass we still have is crunchy!

Parched in the sandhills of NC
Rae

David E. Ross 04-08-2007 04:06 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

On 8/4/2007 6:55 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this
summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since
June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek.
All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the
entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.

Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

You said "ALMOST zilch rain" (emphasis added). Did you get any at all?

It has been 106 days since our last measurable rain. We won't likely
get any rain until October or November. But if we get a La Niņa
condition this winter (as predicted), we might not get rain until late
2008.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

symplastless 04-08-2007 04:46 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

Note: The biggest problem with trees during drought on urban trees is over
watering. Water just enough to moisten the absorbing roots in the upper 4"
of soil.

Nurse logs in forest and tree farms are water reservoirs for trees during
dry times. I.e., once they have become in a sponge form with soil contact.
The more nurse logs the better it is for trees and associates.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Frank 04-08-2007 04:56 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

symplastless wrote:
Note: The biggest problem with trees during drought on urban trees is over
watering. Water just enough to moisten the absorbing roots in the upper 4"
of soil.

Nurse logs in forest and tree farms are water reservoirs for trees during
dry times. I.e., once they have become in a sponge form with soil contact.
The more nurse logs the better it is for trees and associates.

Since this is a garden group, it's bush's fault ;)
Frank

Way Back Jack 04-08-2007 05:02 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 08:06:28 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 8/4/2007 6:55 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this
summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since
June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek.
All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the
entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.

Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

You said "ALMOST zilch rain" (emphasis added). Did you get any at all?

About 1" following a drier than usual spring.

It has been 106 days since our last measurable rain. We won't likely
get any rain until October or November. But if we get a La Niņa
condition this winter (as predicted), we might not get rain until late
2008.

My condolences, but the flora in this area are accustomed to 40" per
year.

zxcvbob 04-08-2007 05:19 PM

The Mother Of All Droughts

Way Back Jack wrote:
This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this
summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since
June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek.
All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the
entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.

Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

It's raining here today for the first time in months. Hopefully it will
save the corn and soybean crops.

I was in Houston last week, and my dad says it has been the wettest
summer he has ever seen there (and it rained almost every day while I
was there)

Bob, in southern Minnesota

David E. Ross 05-08-2007 01:17 AM

The Mother Of All Droughts

wrote:

On 8/4/2007 6:55 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
This part of west-central Md. has gotten almost zilch rain this
summer. Usual mowing is once every 10 days, but I haven't mowed since
June 29, except for the lower area where's there's a pond and creek.
All the other grass is light brown. 1977 was bad and I went the
entire month of August 1980 without mowing but this is worse.

Oh well, guess I'm saving gas.

You said "ALMOST zilch rain" (emphasis added). Did you get any at all?

About 1" following a drier than usual spring.

It has been 106 days since our last measurable rain. We won't likely
get any rain until October or November. But if we get a La Niņa
condition this winter (as predicted), we might not get rain until late
2008.

My condolences, but the flora in this area are accustomed to 40" per
year.

40" here would result in a disaster declaration. Sand bags would be
stacked all over. Ark building would become a growth industry.

We average around 15" per year (measured October to September). So far
this "rain year", we've had about 4" or less.

The native flora in this area expect NO rain in the summer. Winter is
our wet season. (Actually, it's our "not so dry" season.) Most rain
falls from late December until mid-March.