Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chrerry Tree Infested w/ Ants or Termites?

In article kx8ui.3924$jQ3.2487@trndny06, "Mike"
wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Why not just cut the tree down and be done with the ants?

Well, I think not when I can pour 5lbs of salt arounf the roots wait two
weeks then burn it then plow the ground.

Not in a hurry to replant then are you?
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 09-08-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Why should he? Trees have ants.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

Why should he? Trees have ants.

next time I'll check w/ this group before doing anything.
I hope the tree survives and the ants return to their home.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

Why should he? Trees have ants.

Healthy trees do not have ants. Trees that are compromised in some
way have ants. If you were any kind of an arborist you'd know that.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In fact many healthy trees have ants. An understanding of
compartmentalization or decay in trees is a must. Trees wall off areas and
within the areas the wood is symplastless. A new tree grows around the old
tree every year. You really need to understand CODIT which means
compartmentalization of decay in trees, to understand the role of ants. Do
you also proclaim that a healthy tree has no relationship with fungus as
well? Why without mycorrhizae many trees would not maintain a symplast.
Ants and trees have been around long before us and will remain an associate
of trees when we are long gone. Ants stay the decay pathogen which can lead
to a healthy tree. I mean healthy in a mechanical manner as well as a
biological manner.

Look at this.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...-cavities.html

Do you think we need to kill Pileated wood peckers?

No, ants and trees and wood peckers get along fine.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"symplastless" expounded:

Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Several years ago, beofre I bought the house someone and trimmed it
resulting in several places on the trunk that are entrance points for the
ants.

If they made flush cuts and used wound dressing I am sure you got rot. Just
the flush cut alone will stimulate decay because it removes the collar of
branch and truck tissue collectively termed the branch collar. The collar
has little chemical factories that resist the spread of pathogens into the
trees. If you remove the collar you remove this defense feature. In Texas,
years after years of flush cutting and applying wound dressing has really
stimulated oak wilt. If you want to make a home for small wildlife you can
make a flush cut and a cavity will form. Not good for the tree but good for
small wildlife.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

In fact many healthy trees have ants. An understanding of
compartmentalization or decay in trees is a must. Trees wall off areas and
within the areas the wood is symplastless. A new tree grows around the old
tree every year. You really need to understand CODIT which means
compartmentalization of decay in trees, to understand the role of ants. Do
you also proclaim that a healthy tree has no relationship with fungus as
well? Why without mycorrhizae many trees would not maintain a symplast.
Ants and trees have been around long before us and will remain an associate
of trees when we are long gone. Ants stay the decay pathogen which can lead
to a healthy tree. I mean healthy in a mechanical manner as well as a
biological manner.

I give up. If you think trees with decay, fungus and ants are healthy
then you must be right.....ya.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 10, 2:52 am, Ann wrote:
"symplastless" expounded:

[...]

He is correct: not all fungal activity is detrimental to trees. The
relationship between trees and fungii is complex.
Before insulting the integrity of someone, perhaps you should enhance
your own study, then you would be in a position to argue the point
with more grace and lucidity.
My practical experience (in south east of England) with Cherry trees
is they are poor compartmentalisers, and are notorious for rot when
wounded.
Cannot say anything about ants really, as I know little. Can say
though, I live in a house built in 1867, which was left unattended for
years ( became quite decrepit), was revamped, then not looked after
much, recently two different types of ants became visible, red and
black (with wings) both left small mounds of the substance in which
they were staying (brick, plaster etc.). It is entirely possible, and
probable that there is rotten wood in the house.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Treelady

As far as my DVD source goes, the ants stall decay or rot in building
products as well. The problem, in understanding the process is that the
research started with the product and not the trees. The good doctor did
his studies starting with the trees. When a wound takes place on the trunk,
a barrier zone is formed. The wood to the inside of that barrier zone is
chemically altered. It may not be noticable by the naked I but can be
detected with a SHIGOMETER. Termites and ants know, we do not know how they
know, that the wood is altered. That is the fisrt plave ants and termites
will go. Now the termites will eat the wood after they predigest it . The
ants do not eat wood they just push it out of their galleries. The
galleries control the environment inside the tree or building product. Too
wet or too dry will stall the decay pathogen. The galliers stall further
rot in trees and building products. It was verbally mentioned many times
that if it was not for the ants many trees would not be standing. We have
large woodpeckers here and they go after the ants.
As far as fungi, bacteria and others, here are some pithy points.
175. Less than 1% of the insects and fungi are harmful to humans. Think
about that when you use a product that kills everything.
We believe the fungi gain nutrients not only from the tree, but from dead
leaves and wood. This is why composted leaves and wood as mulch is so very
important for healthy trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Treelady" wrote in message
oups.com...
"symplastless" expounded:

Old 13-08-2007, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 10, 8:46 pm, "symplastless" wrote:
[...]

"Treelady" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 10, 2:52 am, Ann wrote:
"symplastless" expounded:

[...]

probable that there is rotten wood in the house.- Hide quoted text -

Symplastless: cheers. Just for the record, I never use anything that
kills everything.

Old 21-03-2017, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, August 4, 2007 at 4:52:46 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
Hi, I've got a large cherry tree that's infested with either termites or
carpenter ants.
I noticed at the bottom of tree what appeared to be sawdust, cleaned it up
and the next day it was back.
Today I sprayed Bonide Termite and Carpenter Ant Killer into the two holes
they were using and the critters poured out of the tree. They appear to
have two parts to the body (part near the head is smaller than the part at
the rear and fairly large head wiith good sized pinchers. The Bonide spray
seems to work but I suspect they'll just burrow into the tree at a another
location how do I permantely get rid of them?

Thanks,

Mike

I just wanted to say thank you for asking the question! Tons of great information was shared.
Philip

[IMG] code is On

My palm tree is infested, Urgent help pls!! alkemisten3 Gardening 3 13-10-2011 06:40 PM
ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
Bug infested hibiscus cshardie Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM