GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   This blue flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/162693-blue-flower.html)

Manelli Family[_3_] 05-08-2007 07:09 PM

This blue flower

Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden in
Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks

Rachael Simpson 05-08-2007 07:47 PM

This blue flower

Manelli Family wrote:
Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden
in Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks

at first glance, i thought it was a blue petunia, but the leaves aren't
quite right for it....a hybrid type maybe? sorry, not sure.

Charles[_1_] 05-08-2007 08:30 PM

This blue flower

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:09:11 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden in
Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks

Might be a ruellia, sometimes known as Mexican petunia.

Rachael Simpson 05-08-2007 09:20 PM

This blue flower

wrote:

Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden in
Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks

Might be a ruellia, sometimes known as Mexican petunia.

So maybe I was on track with the petunia thought......

try these sites for comparison:

http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/ruellia.html

http://cals.arizona.edu/pima/gardeni...ittoniana.html

mleblanca 05-08-2007 10:43 PM

This blue flower

wrote:
Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden in
Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks

Might be a ruellia, sometimes known as Mexican petunia.

I agree with ruellia
Emilie.

loonyhiker 05-08-2007 11:54 PM

This blue flower

It looks like what I have and we call it Purple Showers.
http://www.rareflora.com/ruelliabritpurfount.htm

gldancer 06-08-2007 02:55 PM

This blue flower

On Aug 5, 6:54 pm, loonyhiker wrote:
It looks like what I have and we call it Purple Showers.http://www.rareflora.com/ruelliabritpurfount.htm

On Aug 5, 2:09 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:

Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden in
Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Looks more like vinca major. It has escaped from some garden or
ground cover.

gl in hemlock hollow

Stewart Robert Hinsley 06-08-2007 05:47 PM

This blue flower

In message . com,
gldancer writes
On Aug 5, 6:54 pm, loonyhiker wrote:
It looks like what I have and we call it Purple
Showers.http://www.rareflora.com/ruelliabritpurfount.htm

On Aug 5, 2:09 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:

Can someone identify this blue flower growing wild in a friend's garden in
Texas?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148.../269852704.jpg

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Looks more like vinca major. It has escaped from some garden or
ground cover.

gl in hemlock hollow

I don't recognise the plant (not quite a Petunia captures the essence),
but it's not Vinca major. Vinca major has a more deeply divided corolla,
and less elongated, glossy, leaves.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Manelli Family[_3_] 06-08-2007 10:38 PM

This blue flower TO EVERYONE

I don't recognise the plant (not quite a Petunia captures the essence),
but it's not Vinca major. Vinca major has a more deeply divided corolla,
and less elongated, glossy, leaves.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks everyone, I passed the information on to him.