Old 14-08-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

"symplastless" expounded:

Again Staples has no words on trees.

He's the fraud. Believe it because you see it for yourself. I rest my
case.

Then stop responding to him. End this.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 14-08-2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry,alt.government.abuse

Hey BILLY BOB,

I don't work for the government anymore. I'm not in mASSachusetts, even
though I know DiMaio. As for Joe, he can speak for himself, but believe
me, Jim has heard all he wants to hear from Joe and others on this forum
forever.

....and Jim thought he had it bad in the forest service out here!(ha ha
ha).

Billy Rose wrote:
"D. Staples", a forester in the SE *IS* educated, as is "Joe" (a
forester in the NE.)

Massachusetts isn't it? I wonder how Jim DiMaio would appreciate this
kind of public relations?

Old 14-08-2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry,alt.government.abuse

Man, all of the sudden this is pretty ****ing funny.

Billie: "I'm going to call your daddy and tell on you".

Don: HA Ha Ha Ha. We're THERE Daddies, boy.

In fact, I think you all should follow that advice and keep that gummit
******* busy filing paperwork. Seems to me he was bitching about
paperwork the last time I saw him, about 10 years ago.

Since filing paperwork to do nothing is pretty much what his job title
is anyway, it's not like it's going to change anything anyway!

You see, no idiotic gummit boy has any authority to do anything to us at
all, since a discussion on the neenernet means absolutely nothing,
especially when your name means absolutely nothing, your e-mail addy
doesn't work and your IP address is constantly changing.

....Or is that mine?

Good luck,
Sparky the clown.

Very true but these trolls have attempted to damage John's business. You
know, his means of supporting his family. What I suggest is that all of
us write to the Forestry Service in Massachusetts and Oregon or the USDA
and complain about these "public employees". Jim DiMaio,
Chief Forester, Bureau of Forestry, Boston (617) 626-1430 Fax (617)
626-1351 or Marvin Brown, State Forester, Salem OR PH: 503-945-7211.

mhagen got it right. Even Stubby cops to
being a cult.
D. Staples July 25 alt.forestry

Ah, but Joe, we are merely the dirty underbelly of the profession, the
one's that actually get mud on our boots, what could we collectively
know about the profession of forestry. We don't get the strokes, the
diamond studded collars, or the "Forester of the Year" awards. All we
do is grow trees and manage forests. This site represents the real
world of forestry. The archivists will call us a "CULT", or
untermenchen, of the real forestry world recorded in the great Halls of
Ivory.
--------

So you can see that for all their vacation time and medical insurance,
they are still miserable with their jobs. How threatening must it be for
them when someone with a couple of smarts to rub together, gets
recognition and respect for working in their "speciality" area. Even a
year at Bellvue couldn't straighten out these misanthropes.
--

Along with everything else, your reading comprehension is very limited.
None of us on here are government employees.

Well, I have renewed confidence in our government.
By the way, you

can kiss our collective asses.

You'd reeealy like that wouldn't you? Why don't you go have a beer and
suck on your gun for awhile, and relax?

Old 14-08-2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Geoff-consulting forester in the US wrote:

Man, all of the sudden this is pretty ****ing funny.

Well I'll guess that we will just have to keep trying until we can nail
you on intimidation or blatant obscenities. What is really obvious is
that you are a very sick person. Bet your mother is proud of her little
sick. But then it was probably she who got you started. Yo mama.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Old 14-08-2007, 11:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

On Aug 13, 1:37 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
Treelady, et, Al.

The only reason you find "Symplastless" to have a good understanding oftreesis that you are ignorant.

Note that I stated "ignorant" and not stupid. My statement is not an
insult, but rather a logical reply based on your input.

It is obvious that none of the rest of you have enough experience with
Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) to offer advice or experience with the critter.

So, instead this thread becomes a fury of insults. How ridiculously
selfish.

I am the only one who has offered any positive information about this
topic, with the exception of the person who started this thread - and
that person was *NOT* "Symplastless".

Just because "Symplastless" has a "good understanding oftrees" (a
statement coming from someone ("Treelady") who may or may not have
credentials), doesn't mean he knows anything about EAB.

His offer that healthytreesrespond more vigorously to fend off disease
and pathogens as a response to an EAB infection speaks volumes to his
ignorance of the matter.

"D. Staples", a forester in the SE *IS* educated, as is "Joe" (a
forester in the NE.) There are other professional people who serve the
posters on this newsgroup as well. We all have paid our dues serving
the public, serving private and group land ownerships and acquiring a
degree from different universities.

This is something that Keslick ("Symplastless") has *NOT* done.

...and his lack of knowledge on the subject matter, along with his
self-marketing is a typical combination of a scam artist.

THIS is why I suggested to the original poster to simply ignore him.

I'd recommend that advice to my colleague D. Staples once again too.

(Note to Don, cheap entertainment yes - but there are bigger bangs for
the buck so to speak).

As to you other faux geniuses out there, (e.g. "Billy Rose"), please
take the mensa test and see how you score. I suspect that you will not
fare as well as you think.

Regards,
Geoff

Treelady wrote:

"I find Symplastless to have a good understanding oftrees, theier

biology and appropriate care. To ignore him is to dismiss the
teachings of Alex Shigo- anyone claiming to understand or know about
treeswithout due regard for Shigo's work is one to be taken with a
pinch of salt."
On Aug 8, 7:48 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
I'm a registered forester in Michigan, Pat.

Ignore this "symplastless" guy... he's a wanna-be forester.
Lacking some serious formal education, and thus professional background.

Myself and my colleagues have had to sort through the majority of his
posts on this forum.

I do not believe that the American ash is "history", but there is no
doubt the bug has done some serious damage to many of our hardwood
stands in the central lower peninsula (or "810" area code as I call it -
even though the actual problem extends far beyond that area code's
boundaries).

I live in Osceola county (just South of Cadillac) and it has been found
in my county, but not doing damage to the extent that it did in lower
Michigan. I have not yet seen it in a stand up here. I hope it
continues that way.

The biggest problem is vectoring. It cannot vector itself very far
(maybe a mile or two), but people can vector it very broad and very fast
via cars, hence the "moving firewood bugs me" campaign.

Once it gets to a place where there are any form of ashtrees, it goes
on a feeding frenzy that is like no other.

I've sold timber in Defiance County, Ohio - which was also one of the
EAB problem areas, but timber in NW Ohio is scattered enough as to not
be a problem for EABs.

EAB resistance is more than likely a futile attempt. The best way to
eliminate the problem is to eliminate the hosts where populations of EAB
are found. This critter is not known to prey on othertrees.Pat Kiewicz wrote:
symplastless said:
Product pusher. Bayer also claims to be a feeder oftreesas well.
You'll learn to sing some other tune when these insects arrive in your
neck of the woods. They are a monumental catastrophe. I live near
ground zero. Millions of ashtrees, in forests and back yards, have
been killed. The non-native emerald ash borer attacks healthytrees
as well as stressedtrees. The skeletons of dead ash in nearby wildlands
eerie and obvious. All due to a surprisingly small green beetle.
Long term (maybe very long term indeed), breeding resistant strains of
North American ash and finding appropriate biological controls will be
needed or the American ash is history.
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
Should I Replant or Save My Ash? (PowerPoint presentation):
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/file...ProtectAsh.htm
Options for 'do it yourself' homeowners unwilling to give up on their
ashtrees:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2955.pdf
(As for me, if I had to make a choice, I would the ash tree removed
and be done with it.)
Quote fromhttp://www.emeraldashborer.info/homeownerinfo.cfm
"IMPORTANT NOTE: Using insecticides to control EAB on ashtreesis an
option in Michigan and the EAB quarantined counties in Ohio, Indiana
and Illinois. If your tree is located within an area designated for
eradication or suppression activities, it may be removed by regulatory
agencies even if it has been treated. In those cases where government-
ordered tree removals occur within the contiguous EAB quarantine
counties, consideration will be given to ashtreestreated by certified
applicators utilizing methods and materials recommended by Michigan
State University. If your ashtreesare located outside of this area in
Michigan, Indiana, Illinois or Ohio, using insecticides may not be
recommended. If you are not sure about the regulatory status of your
area or whether you should consider insecticides, please contact your
county Extension office."- Hide quoted text -

Oh dear. Thank you Geoff for repeating yourself. Now that I have the
message loud and clear, I shall take my ignorant self elsewhere as I
am completely overwhelmed by your intelligence.

Old 14-08-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Geoff-consulting forester in the US said:
Pat Kiewicz said:

I have to admit, Pat it was tough even seeing your post in this giant
pile of insults, but I found it and I'll answer your questions about EAB.
See my comments below (some snipped):

Thanks! It has gotten a bit thick around here (I post from rec.gardens).
I hate to keep the cross-post going, but I will leave it in for this post
only.

"J teh K" used to be somewhat of a joke here in rec.gardens years ago
whenhe first showed up, but the mix has changed and he's got admirers
under his current moniker. (His typos were legendary in the old days.)

I have some limitations to my newsreader (it's old but I like it) and I
don't follow the alt.forestry group. If you wish to reply to me, I'm willing
to take it privately in e-mail at comcast.net (not at someplace.net.net
which does not exist).

If you knew what was lurking in Asia (and to Europe to some extent)
ready to come over on the boat to set up a "lunch plan" over here in
America, you would be amazed - most people would want significant trade
barriers up - but would they stop shopping at wal-mart? I think not...

Never shop at Wal-Mart voluntarily (pretty much have no choice when
I visit my mother, sad to say).

We live in an accelerated world. The hits just keep coming, faster than
ever. Humans managed to make a few dramatically nasty introductions
in old days (walnut blight and gypsy moths, anyone?) but now we have
giant containerized ships, flush-through bilges, and jet planes. Massive
opportunities for opportunistic organisms!

Our latest problem is the Sirex wood wasp (also in NY, PA, and Ontario),
which is a pest to "hard pines" like Austrian, Jack, Red and Scotch
pines. The Red and Jack pines are obvious "problem" targets, as those
are the only indigenous species of hard pines here, and they are worth
collectively MANY times what the other two species are worth (from both
a timber and ecologically important roles - A small example: Kirtland
Warbler, a transmigratory bird depends on scrubby Jack pine fields for
it's nesting habitat in the Grayling area).

We seriously hope it won't be as much of a problem as EAB is!

Yes, I've read about that one. I hope it's appetite for the native pines
is limited. So far what I've read said that other areas where Sirex has
been introduced has it mainly targets non-native pines. (This threat
makes the confirmed breeding of Kirtland's warblers in Wisconsin even
more important to the species, I suppose. Eggs not all in one basket,
as it were.)

I actually had one (the first live beetle I'd seen) tucked under the
the windshield wiper on my car. I sure hope they don't normally
ride around that way.

That is exactly how they get vectored. Windshield wipers, under the
body, frame, wheels, etc. Firewood is a larger problem yet, since there
can be larva underneath the bark and they can emerge in different

locations.

Erg, that's not good, if they can be vectored other than by wood
movement -- though I suppose that unlike gypsy moth caterpillars
looking for a place to pupate, the EAB has no particular inclination to
climb into car bodies or camper-trailers.

(It was definitely an EAB, and did not live to make a trip anywhere.)

And in areas the EAB has run rampant over, can they survive
at a low level on the basal shoots that ash trees put out?

I don't know, but I suspect the answer is no - unless the bugs waited
around until those shoots got large enough to produce bark thick enough
to make a habitat for them again (10-15 years or so) - but they would
have to do that by feeding on current ash trees within a 2 mile radius
(max) or so.

Given enough territory and enough not-quite-dead ash trees it might
be just barely possible (if extremely unlikely). I was rather haunted
by descriptions of chestnut trees still throwing up shoots, only to have
the blight take the new shoots, too.

It's a whole lot better if we can educate people to understand how to
eliminate this critter - but it takes everyone's involvement.

This beetle is no respector of healthy trees. It mowed down everything
around here. Proper pruning, watering, mulching, and fertilizing is
not going to help that much when the bark of your neighbors' ash trees
is riddled with 'D' shaped exit holes.

Not every green bug is an EAB, but if you're absolutely sure the one you
see is, please squash him a.s.a.p.

I'd hope if you were in an area where the EAB is not known to be already
established, you might also consider telling someone about it.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 14-08-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes

"Treelady" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 1:37 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
Treelady, et, Al.

-

Oh dear. Thank you Geoff for repeating yourself. Now that I have the
message loud and clear, I shall take my ignorant self elsewhere as I
am completely overwhelmed by your intelligence.

As well you should be.

Old 16-08-2007, 11:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes

On Aug 14, 5:29 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:39:52 -0500, "Don Staples"

wrote:
"Treelady" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Aug 13, 1:37 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
Treelady, et, Al.

-

Oh dear. Thank you Geoff for repeating yourself. Now that I have the
message loud and clear, I shall take my ignorant self elsewhere as I
am completely overwhelmed by your intelligence.

As well you should be.

This has been an entertaining thread to observe........

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a
meaningless interaction into a battle of wills
and add drama to an otherwise dull day."
-Calvin discovers Usenet

Tree People UNITE! lol. Having committed hari kari and enjoying the
pleasure of being reborn, I, too, would like to vent some spleen: How
many of you encounter people who insist they want to reduce mature
trees by 50%? On the whole the clients that come our way are fairly
decent but, still, too many think it is perfectly fine to cut a fifty
foot tree in half. AND, they argue with me and my fellow comrades in
arms, by insisting that their experience says it is a perfectly
acceptable practice.

Old 16-08-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes

"Treelady" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 14, 5:29 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:39:52 -0500, "Don Staples"

wrote:
"Treelady" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Aug 13, 1:37 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
Treelady, et, Al.
-

[...]

A bit counterintuitive, perhaps, but the idea isn't as preposterous as it
may appear at first glance. If you cut the trees in half lengthwise (which
is to say vertically) in situ, the odds are pretty good (at least in some
species) that both halves will survive. Needless to say, this halving will
result in having two trees where before there was only one. The net effect
is that by reducing trees by 50% you actually DOUBLE the number of trees!
Sweet.

Wolfgang

Old 17-08-2007, 10:39 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes

On Aug 16, 3:22 pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:
"Treelady" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 14, 5:29 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:39:52 -0500, "Don Staples"

wrote:
"Treelady" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Aug 13, 1:37 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
Treelady, et, Al.
-

[...]

Wolfgang- Hide quoted text -