Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry
Ann Ann is offline

Default Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

"D. Staples" expounded:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

Other than riding the coat tails of the good doctor, what have you
done?

He has offered advice to posters in this news group stubby. Do you
propose to take his place? Could you take his place? What would give us
confidence that you could? What gives your criticism validity in a
medium where any phallionist can claim anything? Until you can answer
that, go intercourse yourself, anal sphincter.

**** off, crotch rot, your in over your head.

For all you're education you have a tenuous grasp of proper grammar
and the use of contractions.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 13-08-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

No Don Staples, we are very different from you.
1. We understand trees
2. We define our terms

Don Staples you claim to be a forester. Please define what you mean by a
forest.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"D. Staples" wrote in message

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
I am Toni Gee a close associate of Dr. Shigo. I know John very well. He as
well as I are too busy out in the field studying and observing trees and
their associates. You seem to have one mission and that is to waste our
time. We are serious about what we do. You prove to me that you belong
to an association and know nothing about trees. Please don't waste our
time any more.

why do you and "the tree biologist" waste our time on alt.forestry? None
of you are foresters, none of your are degreed, and none certified. So,
Toni, what are your qualifications?

Old 13-08-2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Joe

Where did you get your degree in "tree biology"?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Joe" wrote in message news:giKvi.3371$r14.2381@trndny06...
John, have you or have not taken COLLEGE LEVEL COURSES on biology, trees?
Any college level courses in natural resource departments?

If you've taken several short courses (a few days each) on arborist
subjects- and you have a lot of experience doing practical arborist work-
that's real nice- but, in most parts of the country- you need a college
degree plus experience to practice the arborist profession- at least a 2
year degree in most states.

You can learn some good stuff in a few days- but calling yourself a TREE
BIOLOGIST is overdoing it. A biologist is usually someone with at least a
masters degree in biology from an accredited university.

If you stick to your actual credentials, and stop exaggerating your
knowledge and ability- perhaps Don Staples will get off your back,
otherwise he won't.

Joe

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
What arborist societies are you a member of, Keslick? ISA?

I am a member of The Allegheny Defense Project.
http://www.alleghenydefense.org/

I find their (young people) cause to be just and honest.
I do not care for the way people try to misguide the younger generation
out of the ignorance of tree biology.
That is why I ask you to define yourself. Are you a biostitute Don
Staples?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 13-08-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Joe

You focus on degrees more than you focus on the understanding of trees and
there associates. If you are certified, who certified the person that
certified you?

repeat to Joe as well:
Ok it goes like this. Don says he's a forester. I ask him to define a
forest, to him. Me with my eny-bitty little 3.5 day work shops was able to
read data and write a page on what logging is to me, based on published
data. With your longer term education maybe you could define what logging
is to you (Don Staples). Please list page number and paragraph where data
you mention can be found. Training with out education makes robots.
Education without training makes?
I think you are really a tree farmer who needs help managing trees on tree
farms. Big difference from a true forester. Forest do not require that
they be logged for trees and their associates. I.e., reflecting on how I
define logging.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

And can you make me a copy of your references so I can read them. I will do
the same for you if you like. Tree farmers could place logs as nurse logs
in the woods when you take one out. A logger friend of mine built a unique
machine for moving logs back and forth in a tree farm. We have taken trees
into the woods and brought trees out with little impact as a result of this
unique design.
http://home.ccil.org/~logbuyer/
We use logs from tree take downs that we do as a service.
I will tell you that I have met some very fine people who are loggers in the
edi-bitty 3.5 day workshops.
Where is your resume Don Staples?
We are doing some reforestation projects by bringing in some ecoart nurse
logs. We have one more large oak to bing in and then we will selectively
place many small diameter logs. This project will consist of planting in on
and around the ecoart nurse logs thus increasing the health of the mini
forest (nature preserve) by means of mentioned data he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...nce/index.html
This is the type of forestry I do.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/temp4/
Let me tell you that those 3.5 day workshops really add up.
And yes, I am a want a be forester. To have a regular job as someone who
cared for the vitality of the trees and their associates of a forest based
on tree biology as defined in my dictionary. I list my definition of a
forest in my dictionary.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/F/index.html

I listed what I mean when I say tree biology he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/index.html
I do not like noise.
- -

Old 13-08-2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Joe

Where did Ezekiel get his degree to talk about a "FORESTS"??????????????????
[Ezekiel 39:10 So that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut
down any out of the forests; for they shall burn the weapons with fi and
they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them,
saith the Lord GOD. ]

Man's first responsibility was to care for the garden, (Genesis 2-15).

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Where are your pages?

Old 13-08-2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

"D. Staples" wrote in message

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

Other than riding the coat tails of the good doctor, what have you
done?

He has offered advice to posters in this news group stubby. Do you
propose to take his place? Could you take his place? What would give us
confidence that you could? What gives your criticism validity in a
medium where any phallionist can claim anything? Until you can answer
that, go intercourse yourself, anal sphincter.

**** off, crotch rot, your in over your head.

Is this how you define yourself Don Staples?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 13-08-2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

In article giKvi.3371$r14.2381@trndny06, "Joe" wrote:

John, have you or have not taken COLLEGE LEVEL COURSES on biology, trees?
Any college level courses in natural resource departments?

Joe, competency is where you find it. Certainly, the more immersed one
is in one's field of study, the more secure the client will feel but
just having the paper is no guarantee. Biology is, of course, the study
of life (bio - ology). John hasn't tried to conceal his back ground, it
is clearly displayed. He never claimed to be a research scientist. Would
you consider Luther Burbank a biologist? Jules Janick, Ph.D., Professor
of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, writing
in the World Book Encyclopedia, 2004 edition, says: "(Luther) Burbank
cannot be considered a scientist in the academic sense." Would you deny
that he is a biologist?

There are "Certified Arborists" but John makes no claim to that either.
A cursory check on "Arborists" seems to imply that they are what they
do. It may be that some people have unmet expectations as to what
constitutes an arborist. I would presume that if an arborist didn't have
good word of mouth references, that they wouldn't last too long.

If you've taken several short courses (a few days each) on arborist
subjects- and you have a lot of experience doing practical arborist work-
that's real nice- but, in most parts of the country- you need a college
degree plus experience to practice the arborist profession- at least a 2
year degree in most states.

You can learn some good stuff in a few days- but calling yourself a TREE
BIOLOGIST is overdoing it. A biologist is usually someone with at least a
masters degree in biology from an accredited university.

If you stick to your actual credentials, and stop exaggerating your
knowledge and ability- perhaps Don Staples will get off your back, otherwise
he won't.

This is the point. John didn't exaggerate his credentials. He has them
clearly posted for all to see. Ask a violin maker for his academic
credentials. He will probably laugh at you. He is what he does, like
Luther Burbank did. It's not like John is re-inventing the wheel. He
studied with the foremost arborist "Alex Shigo, widely considered the
father of modern arboriculture.[Who] developed many of the principles
that have become central to arboriculture . . .".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Shigo

Meanwhile, we have Don Staples who claims that John doesn't have the
proper credentials. He gives no basis for his statements or authority to
support his judgement. Don has made his opinion clear, why is he
obsessing on it? We heard him. It is his opinion and I don't care to
share it. It is as if he was trying to damage John's career. All John
is asking for is, what was an 800 year old right, until recently, of
habeas corpus (where is the proof?).

John is an open book. It is Don Staples who hides and refuses to enter
into an open discussion. He is also vulgar, in the pejorative sense.

Joe

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
What arborist societies are you a member of, Keslick? ISA?

I am a member of The Allegheny Defense Project.
http://www.alleghenydefense.org/

I find their (young people) cause to be just and honest.
I do not care for the way people try to misguide the younger generation
out of the ignorance of tree biology.
That is why I ask you to define yourself. Are you a biostitute Don
Staples?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 13-08-2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

"symplastless" wrote in message
No Don Staples, we are very different from you.
1. We understand trees
2. We define our terms

Don Staples you claim to be a forester. Please define what you mean by a
forest.

Most foresters have taken at least a dozen courses in forestry, after taken
many courses in biology, along with the other countless required college
courses. I have about 20 college texts on forestry, trees, wildlife biology
and mgt., arboriculture, soils science, geology, etc., etc.- that tops your
3 day courses.

I conclude that you or whoever started this thread by cross posting should
stop the cross posting.

Even if you were a highly educated and trained arborist- arborist issues
don't belong in alt.forestry. Perhaps, you could start a new group called
alt.arborist. Don and myself and a few others started this newsgroup a
decade ago- it wasn't that difficult- so you could do it too then keep your
discussions there where they belong.

Joe

Old 13-08-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Not only do I have a degree- I've been practicing forestry since 1973. I
currently manage about 15,000 acres in central New England and have walked
on many other thousands of acres all over the country- most of the major
national parks- including several backpack trips to the bottom of the Grand
Canyon, and other wilderness areas.

What is logging? Most of it SUCKS - with forests being RAPED by rapacious
loggers to make an excessive profit for themselves and the wood industry- I
don't defend RAW LOGGING. That's not what forestry is- real foresters don't
do logging- they DO SILVICULTURE- look it up- and, they understand the LONG
TERM ECONOMICS OF TREES AND FORESTS.

Many people in the forestry business are indeed nothing but tree farmers,
many are total assholes just procuring wood for their mill boss- real
foresters don't defend those guys.

Real foresters do indeed make use of silvicultural activity as part of their
forest mgt.- over a long time frame. It's often not about trees to cut to
sell- it's often about removing the less desirable trees to enhance the
better trees.

And, yes, it's good that many forests are not logged- they are in parks and
reserves- and it's just fine that some people don't want to log their
forests- but some do.

Joe

Old 13-08-2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article giKvi.3371$r14.2381@trndny06, "Joe" wrote:

John, have you or have not taken COLLEGE LEVEL COURSES on biology, trees?
Any college level courses in natural resource departments?

Joe, competency is where you find it.

Maybe for common laborers- but nowadays, most jobs require advanced
education.

Certainly, the more immersed one
is in one's field of study, the more secure the client will feel but
just having the paper is no guarantee. Biology is, of course, the study
of life (bio - ology). John hasn't tried to conceal his back ground, it
is clearly displayed. He never claimed to be a research scientist.

A biologists is someone with at least a master's degree in biology- so he
shouldn't be claiming he's a tree biologist- at best, he may be a
semi-competent arborist- someone qualified to trim and cut trees, plant
trees, fertilize trees, etc. He ain't no biologist.

Would
you consider Luther Burbank a biologist? Jules Janick, Ph.D., Professor
of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, writing
in the World Book Encyclopedia, 2004 edition, says: "(Luther) Burbank
cannot be considered a scientist in the academic sense." Would you deny
that he is a biologist?

There are "Certified Arborists" but John makes no claim to that either.
A cursory check on "Arborists" seems to imply that they are what they
do. It may be that some people have unmet expectations as to what
constitutes an arborist. I would presume that if an arborist didn't have
good word of mouth references, that they wouldn't last too long.

In some states like Mass. you can't go around claiming you're an arborist if
you're not licensed.

Joe

Old 13-08-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

Other than riding the coat tails of the good doctor, what have you
done?

He has offered advice to posters in this news group stubby. Do you
propose to take his place? Could you take his place? What would give us
confidence that you could? What gives your criticism validity in a
medium where any phallionist can claim anything? Until you can answer
that, go intercourse yourself, anal sphincter.

**** off, crotch rot, your in over your head.

Dim-witted and vulgar, an egregious combination which reveals a
depauperate consciousness. Poor thing. It was generous of you to
embroider your communication with a pair of bi-syllabic words. Wouldn't
you be more comfortable if you just grunted? Be sure to let us know when
you're capable of joining the adults.

Old 13-08-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

In article UFMvi.10291$eb4.2917@trndny08, "Joe" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
[...]

Well then I guess it's a good thing that John gives his free advice on
"Wrecked Gardens" from Pennsylvannia, isn't it?

Am I missing something here? He isn't misrepresenting himself. He gives
free advice. Do you know of any bad advice that he has given?

I wouldn't claim Wikipedia as a final arbiter but under Biologist
Training it says "Many jobs in biology as a field require an academic
degree. " To me that doesn't say, that all biologists are required to
have an academic degree.

If you want to talk about malfeasance, let's talk about George Bush. Now
that's malfeasance.