Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Default Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

Just came across this information on preventing and killing emerald
ash borers. I live in Michigan and we are getting infested all over
in our area. Trees are dying everywhere and our local municipalities
are destroying ash trees which isn't doing a thing except making areas
look like wastelands.

Finally we found a tree in our yard that seems to be getting infested
now. After some talking around and doing some online research, I have
found there might be hope to prevent these borers from killing more
trees. Although it could be expensive depending on your situation,
there is a product out there called "Bayer Advanced Garden™ Tree and
Shrub Insect Control" that has been proven effective on killing/
preventing ash borers. Best of all, it's simple to use. Just mix &
pour around the base of the tree and you're done for 12 months.

See this PDF for further info:

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2955.pdf

--
Chris

Old 07-08-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Many tree problems are associated with the following help trees vitality.
The higer the vitality the better chances you have to healthy trees.

They are Case Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"szilagyic" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just came across this information on preventing and killing emerald
ash borers. I live in Michigan and we are getting infested all over
in our area. Trees are dying everywhere and our local municipalities
are destroying ash trees which isn't doing a thing except making areas
look like wastelands.

Finally we found a tree in our yard that seems to be getting infested
now. After some talking around and doing some online research, I have
found there might be hope to prevent these borers from killing more
trees. Although it could be expensive depending on your situation,
there is a product out there called "Bayer Advanced GardenT Tree and

Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Pesticides
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/spring.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

oups.com...

Old 07-08-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Product pusher. Bayer also claims to be a feeder of trees as well.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

oups.com...

Old 07-08-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

I was thinking about a question you posed a few days ago about Micro
nutrients.

We used a local product called green sand and have also used granite
dust. We my Dad and I think of these as long term feeding similar I
guess to granulated lime. Slow on breaking down. I have not touched
green sand for about 30 years. Went with cover crops and chicken waste
composted rarely usually just topical and tilled in.

Bill

http://www.google.com/search?q=Marlton%20green%20sand

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Balgreen Portal to the Souther Realm

Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Bill, no I was talking about micro-elements. I was stating that they should
be referred to as micro-elements rather than minor elements because they are
anything but minor. When one is lacking there is a problem.

As far as food goes, plants (most) are autotrophs meaning that they
manufacture their own food. We do not feed trees. A plant called the ghost
flower has no chlorophyll so it cannot manufacture its own food. We still
do not feed that plant. It gets its food from the bicarbohydrate transfer
of plants.

here's my thoughts on food, nutrients and essential elements.

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.
Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed by plants. I do not call elements - nutrients, however nutrients
would contain elements. You can put a file in a folder but you can't put a
folder in a file. A list of elements can be found he
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US211%26sa%3DX

17 Elements For Life - Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Phosphorus,
Potassium, Calcium, Sulfur, Magnesium, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Boron,
Molybdenum, Chlorine, Zinc, Nickel [Sodium, Cobalt, Selenium?]

14 essential elements are obtained by trees from the soil. I do not have a
list of which ones they are.

Wood is the substrate of the base of the food web, the mycorrhizal fungi.
Mycorrhizae tend to be abundant in composted wood such as nurse logs. We
had great success at tree biology workshops finding mycorrhizae during dryer
times, in and about nurse logs. I believe, you don't have to agree with it,
please, just think. I think that by applying mulch as I recommend under
mulch here that you facilitate the mycorrhizae rather than just adding
fertilizer. Not that its bad in any way, fertilizer i.e.. Over
fertilizing with nitrogen is a serious problem for trees. Over nitrogen
leads to sucking insects.

Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Did I say - Mycorrhizae are organs that facilitate the absorption of
elements essential for healthy growth. Mycorrhizae resist the Demons Of D.
Mycorrhizae facilitate the absorption of elements. Demons of D are those
things that add up to the big D word DEATH. E.g., Depletion, disruption,
and dysfunction. Elements can be depleted. Disruption, you get hit my a
Mac truck. Dysfunction, some organ such as mycorrhizae may not function.

Major Elements C; H; N; O; P; K; S; Mg; Ni; Fe; Ca; Zn; Mo; Mn; B; Cl; Cu

There is the law of the minimum. It states the element that is deficient
the most, would be the determining factor in the health of the tree.

I think research would be wise in the search for the optimum fertility level
for trees.

I did some soil testing in the upper four inches of soil and from at and
about nurse logs in old growth forest which contain hemlocks and white
pines. And much more. Here is my average on my testing for the latter.
These where five test. 3 test sites where in Allegheny National
Forest(Hearts Content) Pennsylvania
and two where in Allegheny National Forest(Tionesta Scenic area)
Pennsylvania.
Results are in Pounds Per Acre PPA. AVAILABLE ELEMENTS
P 8.2
K 236
Mg 107
Ca 594
Al 220.6
Fe 110.8
Mn 118.6
Zn 11.96
NO3-N 28.8
Did not get B or CU.
Organic matter was 29.32%
Ex Acidity 81 ME/100G
Salts mmho: 0.01 mmho/cm
Moisture %3.97
Water Soluble mg/kg B 1.0738
ACID Soluble (mg/kg)
Cd 0.976
Cu 6.768
Ni 5.71 (Penn State discovered the element Ni to be essential in small
amounts)
Mn 426.378
Co 3.084
Zn 46.818
Pb 101.792
Cr 5.078
P 726.226
The CARBON TO NITROGEN RATION was 27:1
pH 4.2 WOW

That would be a goal of mine if I was going to provide essential elements
professionally. I did not see to many people in the old growth sections.

There was more calcium at a nurse logs in a separate test.

We don't feed trees, however, we can feed the soil with composted wood
(chips and nurse logs) and leaves. We can feed the system.

I have some results for some sick hemlocks (elements in soil)

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

symplastless said:

Product pusher. Bayer also claims to be a feeder of trees as well.

You'll learn to sing some other tune when these insects arrive in your
neck of the woods. They are a monumental catastrophe. I live near
ground zero. Millions of ash trees, in forests and back yards, have
been killed. The non-native emerald ash borer attacks healthy trees
as well as stressed trees. The skeletons of dead ash in nearby wildlands
eerie and obvious. All due to a surprisingly small green beetle.

Long term (maybe very long term indeed), breeding resistant strains of
North American ash and finding appropriate biological controls will be
needed or the American ash is history.

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

Should I Replant or Save My Ash? (PowerPoint presentation):
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/file...ProtectAsh.htm

Options for 'do it yourself' homeowners unwilling to give up on their
ash trees:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2955.pdf

(As for me, if I had to make a choice, I would the ash tree removed
and be done with it.)

Quote from http://www.emeraldashborer.info/homeownerinfo.cfm

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Using insecticides to control EAB on ash trees is an
option in Michigan and the EAB quarantined counties in Ohio, Indiana
and Illinois. If your tree is located within an area designated for
eradication or suppression activities, it may be removed by regulatory
agencies even if it has been treated. In those cases where government-
ordered tree removals occur within the contiguous EAB quarantine
counties, consideration will be given to ash trees treated by certified
applicators utilizing methods and materials recommended by Michigan
State University. If your ash trees are located outside of this area in
Michigan, Indiana, Illinois or Ohio, using insecticides may not be
recommended. If you are not sure about the regulatory status of your
area or whether you should consider insecticides, please contact your
county Extension office."

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

I'm a registered forester in Michigan, Pat.

Ignore this "symplastless" guy... he's a wanna-be forester.
Lacking some serious formal education, and thus professional background.

Myself and my colleagues have had to sort through the majority of his
posts on this forum.

I do not believe that the American ash is "history", but there is no
doubt the bug has done some serious damage to many of our hardwood
stands in the central lower peninsula (or "810" area code as I call it -
even though the actual problem extends far beyond that area code's
boundaries).

I live in Osceola county (just South of Cadillac) and it has been found
in my county, but not doing damage to the extent that it did in lower
Michigan. I have not yet seen it in a stand up here. I hope it
continues that way.

The biggest problem is vectoring. It cannot vector itself very far
(maybe a mile or two), but people can vector it very broad and very fast
via cars, hence the "moving firewood bugs me" campaign.

Once it gets to a place where there are any form of ash trees, it goes
on a feeding frenzy that is like no other.

I've sold timber in Defiance County, Ohio - which was also one of the
EAB problem areas, but timber in NW Ohio is scattered enough as to not
be a problem for EABs.

EAB resistance is more than likely a futile attempt. The best way to
eliminate the problem is to eliminate the hosts where populations of EAB
are found. This critter is not known to prey on other trees.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Pat

Please explain how bark forms.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Geoff-consulting forester in the US" wrote
in message ...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

I agree that no one should believe anything because I said it. But believe
it because they see it for themselves. About wanting to be a forester like
you Does that mean I would have to convince people that logging increases
forest health? Logging does anything but address issues of trees
requirements and their associates. Saying that logging increases forest
health is like saying that you can buy a bag of tree food off a shelf. When
was the last time Pat fed a tree? Where is Pats dictionary?

I did call Bayer today and they said they sell fertilizer, nitrogen and not
tree food and they will look into changing labels.

many docs can be found here on effects of logging.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

Old 09-08-2007, 10:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

symplastless said:
[...]

I find Symplastless to have a good understanding of trees, theier
biology and appropriate care. To ignore him is to dismiss the
teachings of Alex Shigo- anyone claiming to understand or know about
trees without due regard for Shigo's work is one to be taken with a
pinch of salt.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Geoff-consulting forester in the US said:

I'm a registered forester in Michigan, Pat.

Ignore this "symplastless" guy... he's a wanna-be forester.
Lacking some serious formal education, and thus professional background.

Normally I do (in rec.gardens) but took a look at this thread.

(And as far as the symplastless fellow goes, I have no reason
myself to know exactly how bark forms, my dictionaries are on shelves
downstairs, and I don't 'feed' my trees or plants. I fertilize my lawn and,
as it's sometimes put, I 'feed' the soil' in my gardens with compost and
organic fertilizers.)

Myself and my colleagues have had to sort through the majority of his
posts on this forum.

I'm glad someone does it.

I do not believe that the American ash is "history", but there is no
doubt the bug has done some serious damage to many of our hardwood
stands in the central lower peninsula (or "810" area code as I call it -
even though the actual problem extends far beyond that area code's
boundaries).

I live in Osceola county (just South of Cadillac) and it has been found
in my county, but not doing damage to the extent that it did in lower
Michigan. I have not yet seen it in a stand up here. I hope it
continues that way.

I hope that that is the case...things look rather bleak from the middle
of 'ground zero.'

Locally, the initial symtoms of what was called at first (if I remember
correctly) 'ash decline' was noticed for several years before trees
started dying in vast numbers.

The biggest problem is vectoring. It cannot vector itself very far
(maybe a mile or two), but people can vector it very broad and very fast
via cars, hence the "moving firewood bugs me" campaign.

I actually had one (the first live beetle I'd seen) tucked under the
the windshield wiper on my car. I sure hope they don't normally
ride around that way.

Once it gets to a place where there are any form of ash trees, it goes
on a feeding frenzy that is like no other.

No doubt about that!

I've sold timber in Defiance County, Ohio - which was also one of the
EAB problem areas, but timber in NW Ohio is scattered enough as to not
be a problem for EABs.

EAB resistance is more than likely a futile attempt. The best way to
eliminate the problem is to eliminate the hosts where populations of EAB
are found. This critter is not known to prey on other trees.

Do you have much trouble getting property owners to eliminate
host trees? And in areas the EAB has run rampant over, can they survive
at a low level on the basal shoots that ash trees put out? I know that there
are many skeletal ash trees (especially along freeways* and in woodlots)
that are still standing and some still send up new shoots.

*I suppose the excuse for this is lack of funds...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
I agree that no one should believe anything because I said it. But believe
it because they see it for themselves. About wanting to be a forester like
you Does that mean I would have to convince people that logging increases
forest health? Logging does anything but address issues of trees
requirements and their associates. Saying that logging increases forest
health is like saying that you can buy a bag of tree food off a shelf.
When was the last time Pat fed a tree? Where is Pats dictionary?

I did call Bayer today and they said they sell fertilizer, nitrogen and
not tree food and they will look into changing labels.

many docs can be found here on effects of logging.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Your tree dictionary is a piece of crap, why do you insist on posting here
when real, trained biologist point you out as a fraud.

Beware a so called tree biologist who has never studied biology.